Page 167: Burke, W. J.
- Full Text
August 11, 1944 Lindsay Boys at Ottawa in R.C.O.C. Band
The R.C.O.C. band from Barrifield Camp Kingston has recently been transferred to Ottawa and will now be under the direction of Band-master Capt. Wilson.
A number of Lindsay boys are in his band, including: W. Burke, J. Booles, R. Hughes, C. Hughes, H. Lynch, A. Hooper and S. M. A. Perrott.
S. M. Perrott is staying in Barrifield to form a new band of young musicians who will take over the job left by the older members.
- Media Type:
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types:
- W. J. Burke of Lindsay enlisted in the Canadian Army as a musician with the Canadian Army Band on July 15, 1941.
He trained at Kingston, Ont. and was later moved to Ottawa. During his service he took Basic, Advance and Commando training. He was promoted to the rank Corporal.
Cpl Burke received his discharge on January 9, 1945. Cpl. Burke earned the award C.V.S.M. in the service.
W. J. Burke whose prewar occupation was a musician is living in Lindsay at Apt. 4, 45 Victoria Ave N. (January 23, 1945).
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes) who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Date of Publication:
- 11 Aug 1944
- Personal Name(s):
- W. Burke ; J. Booles ; R. Hughes ; C. Hughes ; H. Lynch ; A. Hooper ; S.M.A. Perrott
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Kawartha Lakes Public Library
Agency street/mail address
190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6