Pages 3-4: Calhoun, John
- Full Text
September 13, 1943 Major Calhoun Dies Suddenly. Was Haliburton Born
Toronto, Sept. 13—Well known in military circles and for many years [as] an ear nose and throat specialist in Toronto, Major John Calhoun, MD., FRCS., died suddenly Saturday in Montreal, where he was on active service as Deputy MOH. for MD. No. 4. He was 57 years of age.
Major Calhoun was a veteran of the First Great War, joining the Royal Canadian Medical Corps in 1914 with the rank of Captain. He served overseas for the duration with distinction, and was awarded the Mons Star. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel.
Born in Haliburton county, Major Calhoun received his early education in Toronto schools and graduated in medicine form the University of Toronto in 1907. He took postgraduate study in New York. In 1913 he established a practice as ear, nose and throat specialist, which he resumed after the First Great War.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes) who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Date of Publication
- 13 Sep 1943
- Date Of Event
- 11 Sep 1943
- Personal Name(s)
- John Calhoun ; John Campbell Calhoun
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.16682 Longitude: -78.49955
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6