Pages 109-110: Coboconk
- Full Text
September 13, 1944 PAY TRIBUTE TO FIVE FALLEN HEROES AT COBOCONK
A Special Memorial Service in memory of five young Coboconk men who have paid the supreme sacrifice on world battlefronts in the present conflict, was held in Christ Church, Coboconk, on Sunday, September 3.
Rev. Mr. Green, of Fenelon Falls, conducted the service, bringing a consoling and helpful message to all. At the conclusion of the Church service, the Coboconk Platoon of the 2nd Midland Regt, (R) marched from the church to the cenotaph where wreaths were placed and prayer was conducted by the minister.
Wreaths were laid in memory of Lloyd Wakelin, Allan Olsen, Kenneth McGregor, James Sheldon, and Lloyd Truax, by Richard Rutter, an Army Veteran, and by Jack Mackie, R.C.A.F.
An outgrowth of the service has been the setting up of a Memorial Fund to which contributions will be accepted by Garnet Graham, secretary, or Charles Bowins, Treasurer.
March 11, 1945 CITIZENS OF COBOCONK TO BUILD NEW MEMORIAL HALL
Public Meeting Called For Friday, March 30, to Complete Plans-To Honour War Heroes.
Citizens of Coboconk and vicinity have reason to be proud of the large number of men from that community serving in the Armed Forces, some eighty persons from this small centre being on service in various parts of the world.
With the thought in mind of making some tangible acknowledgement of this service, steps are already under way to arrange for the building of a new Memorial Hall in honour of those who served and will return to partake of its benefits and in memory to those who gave their all for King and country.
The plan developed from discussions held among the citizens of the community as to the best means of showing appreciation to those who served and the Memorial Hall plan has been widely accepted as the most desirable. Not only will it be a Memorial to the fallen, but it will provide those who return and their succeeding generations, a suitable place in which to conduct and enjoy community activities.
A plaque will be placed in the new Hall with all the names of those who served suitably inscribed.
A public meeting to discuss the entire project has been called for Friday evening, March 30 in the Masonic Hall, Coboconk to which local members of Provincial and Federal Governments have been invited and where complete details of the proposed plan will be dealt with.
While other communities are considering ways and means of honouring their war heroes, Coboconk will be among the first to put a definite plan into operation.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types
- Raymond Lloyd Wakelin, 30 September 1942, Royal Canadian Air Force
Allan Milton Olsen, 05 November 1942, Army, Midland Regiment, RCIC
Kenneth McGregor, 03 February 1944, Army, Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, RCIC.
James Sheldon, 01 June 1944, Army, Irish Regiment of Canada, RCIC
Lloyd George Truax, 25 July 1944, Army, Black Watch of Canada
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes) who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Watchful Warder
- Date of Publication
- 13 Sep 1944
- Personal Name(s)
- Lloyd Wakelin ; Allan Olsen ; Kenneth McGregor ; James Sheldon ; Lloyd Truax
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.65012 Longitude: -78.79958
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6