Page 55: Dean, Earl
- Full Text
September 23, 1942 GUNNER EARL DEAN IS FIRST CASUALTY REPORTED IN 45TH BATTERY -
DIED IN ENGLAND
Widowed Mother Has Three Other Sons in the Service—Gunner Dean Died From Gunshot Wounds
Mrs. John Dean, 47 Georgina St., received word Saturday that he son, Gunner Earl G. Dean, had
died from gunshot woundson Friday, the day previous. His is the first casually in the 45th Battery, a unit recruited in Lindsay and district.
It was a great shock to me, for we had been hearing from Earl regularly,said Mrs. Dean.
I have three other boys in the service,she added.
Earl Dean, born and reared in Lindsay, was in his 24th year and had he lived until Monday, Sept. 21, he would have been exactly three years in the army. He was one of the first to enlist and
he always felt it was his duty to do so,said Mrs. Dean.
Earl was married a short time before enlisting, his wife being Mary Eggleton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Eggleton, 175 King St., Lindsay.
After leaving with his unit for Petawawa, Gunner Earl Dean was stationed for some time at Halifax before going overseas in November of 1941.
A brother, Driver James Dean, is serving with the Army Service Corps in Toronto, and another brother, Gunner Edward Dean, is also serving in Toronto. A third brother AC2 Lloyd Dean, is in the service at Brandon, Man.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes) who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Date of Publication
- 23 Sep 1942
- Date Of Event
- 18 Sep 1942
- Personal Name(s)
- Earl George Dean ; Earl Dean ; Mary Dean ; Mary Eggleton ; Edward Dean ; Lloyd Dean ; William Dean ; John Dean
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.35012 Longitude: -78.73286
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6