Page 85: Dickerson, Merrill
- Full Text
September 6, 1944 Formerly of Lindsay – Killed in Action
Mr. George Coneybeare, former proprietor of Coneybeare Lodge on Cambridge St. North, received with much regret the news that Coy. Sergt. Merrill G. Dickerson had been killed in action.
Coy. Sergt. Dickerson was a resident of Lindsay for a year as representative of the Fuller Brush Company. He was well known as quite popular and was a member of L.O.L. No. 32 in Lindsay. A clipping received by Mr. Coneybeare reads as follows:
Coy. Sergt. Dickerson was a son of Lawrence Dickerson and the late Mrs. Dickerson, of Toronto. He was killed in action in France on July 8th. He enlisted on July 2nd 1940 at Peterboro, with the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders. He went overseas in July 1941. He leaves to mourn his loss, his wife and a little son Allan in England his father, 2 sisters, Mrs. Lance Parks, of Newcastle and Mrs. Ed. Mann, Jr., of Campbellton; also 4 brothers, Murray with the Cameron Highlanders in France, Wallace with the Carlton-York Regiment in Italy, Gordon with the infantry unit in Aldershot, N.S., and Robert Dickerson at home.
The message regretting his death gave no details.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Types
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes) who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Watchful Warder
- Date of Publication
- 6 Sep 1944
- Personal Name(s)
- Merrill Dickerson ; George Coneybeare ; Lawrence Dickerson ; Lance Parks ; Ed Mann ; Murray Dickerson ; Wallace Dickerson ; Gordon Dickerson ; Robert Dickerson
- World War II Service Files
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 44.35012 Longitude: -78.73286
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6