H.M.C.S. Lindsay receives honourable discharge
The Canadian Corvette H.M.C.S. ‘Lindsay’, along with a large number of other similar members of the Canadian Navy has been commissioned and is being stripped of her armaments, after served in many waters and several engagements. The record of the Corvette Lindsay has been of stellar variety. The corvette was well manned, well handled, well equipped and very sea worthy. She gave a good account of herself on convoy duty as well as in battle with the enemy and took part in the invasion of Europe.
Considerable credit for the success of the HMCS "Lindsay" goes to the Corvette Committee, of the Town Council, and particularly to the organizing effort of the Convenor, Ald. Ada Greaves, who has been tireless and indefatigable in her efforts concerning the ship.
A few weeks ago the Commander Thomson visited Lindsay and was honored by the Council. He gave a thrilling description of the manner in which the Corvette acquitted herself under trying weather conditions, as well as in action. Briefly the history of the "Lindsay" is as follows:
In June 1943 the town council of the Town of Lindsay was advised that a Corvette of the Canadian Navy was to be christened in honour of the town. A committee was appointed, comprising the following members of council, to give leadership in providing comforts for the ship's company: H.H. McFadden, L.T. Braunton, A.E Hick and Miss Ada Greaves, Chairman. The response which was immediately forthcoming from organizations and citizens of the town generally gave evidence of the interest and pride of the people of Lindsay in this undertaking. Donations were received from The Business Girls Club, Lindsay Women's Institute, Lady Hughes Chapter IODE, Salvation Army Band, St. Paul's Parish Workers, Catholic Women's League, Baker Business College, Kawartha Chapter IODE, various groups at the LCI, Bank of Montreal Staff, ONA Club, Knights of Columbus, Red Shield Group of the Salvation Army, Rebekahs, Eastern Star, Ladies Bowling Club, Red Cross Society, Ladies of the Orange Lodge, Glenarm Red Cross, Little Britain Red Cross, Home and School Club (N. Warl), Kiwanis Club, Rotary Club, and others. In addition to cash donations, electric irons, hotplates, radio, phonograph, writing materials, games, books, knitted articles, soap, canned goods and sports equipment were provided. The gifts from the town included a piano and an electric washing machine. A short time prior to the launching of HMCS "Lindsay" her Commanding Officer, Lieut. G.A.V. Thomson, RCNVR, of Victoria BC, paid a short visit to Lindsay. Lieut. Thomson attended the Rotary luncheon with his host, Mr. George Donaldson, and spoke briefly expressing his appreciation of the gifts provided for the comfort of his officers and men. At an informal meeting in the town hall later, Lieut, Thomson spoke to a group of ladies representing various organizations and assured them that their gifts were most gratefully received. The ladies of the Women's Institute served a cup of tea and all present had an opportunity to meet the officer who was to command the ship named in honour of the town.
The ship was christened and launched at Midland on November 13th, 1943, at which ceremony the following persons from Lindsay were guests of Midland Shipyards Limited: Bruce McNevin, MP, His Worship Mayor Charles Lamb and Mrs. Lamb, Deputy Reeve H. Elliot Alderman, Charles Ferguson and Miss Ada Greaves. The ship was sponsored by Mrs. Charles Lamb who was presented with a wrist watch by Midland Shipyards Limited, as a souvenir of the happy occasion. A luncheon followed at the Georgian Hotel, Midland, for the visitors from Lindsay, Cobourg, and Parry Sound. The Corvettes 'Cobourg' and 'Parry Sound' were christened and launched the same day. On November 15th the Commissioning ceremonies were held at Midland dock, at which about fifty persons from Lindsay were present. Mr. Newton Smale, on behalf of the Lindsay Ministerial Association presented a Bible to Lieut. Thomson, which he acknowledged gratefully.
In time for Christmas 1943 parcels were sent to each member of the ship’s company from the school children of Lindsay. HMCS “Lindsay” went overseas in the spring of 1944 and from time to time additional comforts were forwarded by the corvette committee. Phonograph records, books and magazines, games and candy were among the additional donations, and a crest of the Town of Lindsay was a very timely gift from the Lady Hughes Chapter IODE. The ship was on active duty during the invasion of Normandy and was especially mentioned during the civil service of worship in Victoria Park on that evening. Subsequently the Commanding Officer, Lieut Thomson, was mentioned in despatches.
Parcels were sent to each member of the ship’s company at Christmas, 1944 in addition to sweaters, socks, cigarettes and playing cards which were sent for distribution by the Commanding Officer. Many letters have been received from officers and men serving in HMCS Lindsay and they have all expressed sincere gratitude for the gifts from the citizens of Lindsay. On February 14, 1944, the corvette committee was proud to receive the white ensign flown by the ship on D-Day from her Commanding Officer.
It is to be regretted that this summary, which is intended as a record of what has been done by the citizens of Lindsay for the ship named in honour of the town, is not complete in every detail. It would be difficult to record individual gifts, but it is felt that the expressions of gratitude from the recipients must be deeply satisfying to all who have contributed.