- Full Text
Soldiering has been for years one of the great ambitions of Sgt. Leo Alger of Lindsay, now Quarter-Master Alger, recently transferred to New York City, where he will be connected with the British Intelligence Service. For about seven years previous to the outbreak of the war, Leo Alger had been connected with the Canadian Militia and was the first Sergeant to enlist in Lindsay, on Sept. 5, 1939. Joining the 45th Battalion here, he went overseas in November 1941. After overseas duty for two years and three months he was transferred to his native land. Latterly he has been an instructor at Petawawa. A prized possession is an efficiency medal for long service to his country. He brother Charles, is on active duty with the R.C.M.C. overseas.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Type
- This card is part of a larger collection of World War II personnel clippings. The project began in 1944 at the Lindsay Library. The intent was to gather together as much information as possible on the military record and the service of people from the Town of Lindsay and the County of Victoria (now Kawartha Lakes)who served in the war. To that end, during the years 1944, 1945, and 1946, members of the public donated photographs and updated information about their loved ones. Both library staff and the public saved and donated newspaper clippings. Some of the files contain great amounts of detail, while others have just a name.
- Date of Publication
- 9 Aug 1944
- Date Of Event
- Summer 1939
- Personal Name(s)
- Alger, Leo ; Alger, Charles.
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 45.91592 Longitude: -77.29337
Latitude: 44.35012 Longitude: -78.73286
New York, United States
Latitude: 40.71427 Longitude: -74.00597
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Holder
- Kawartha Lakes Public Library
- Location of Original
- Kawartha Lakes Public Library - Archives
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6