- Fenelon Falls Gazette, 23 Oct 1880, p. 2, column 3
- Full Text
The fall show of the Verulam Agricultural Society was held in Bobcaygeon on the 8th inst., and the weather being fine there was a large attendance, but the number of entries was scarcely up to the average. Below we give
THE PRIZE LIST.
STOCK.--Span Drought Horses, 1 J. Junkin, Jr., 2 R. Lawson, 3 Jos. Junkin. Span Carriage Horses, 1 J. Goulais, 2 G. Eastland, 3 Jas. Morrison. Single Horse and Buggy, 1 E. Bottum, 2 W. Deyell. Brood Mare, with foal by her side, 1 John Martin, 2 J. L. Read, 3 Thos. L. Davis. Foal of this year, 1 J. L. Read, 2 John Martion. Two years old Colt, 1 James Humphries, 2 John Mann. One year old Colt, 1 John Martin, 2 R. Lawson. Aged Bull, 1 Thomas Staples. Two years old Bull, 1 J. L. Read, 2 W. Ventress. One year old Bull, 1 J. Bredin, 2 J. Gallagher. Bull Calf, 1 John Mann, 2 John Stewart. Cow giving milk, 1 Wm. Kelso, 2 and 3 J. L. Read. Two years old Heifer, 1 W. Ventress, 2 John. L. Read. One year old Heifer, 1 Thos. Cheetham, 2 J. L. Read. Heifer Calf, 1 Thomas Junkin, 2 John Stewart. Yoke of Working Oxen, 1 John McFeeters, 2 W. Ventress, 3 Jas. Morrison. Bred aged Ram, 1 Charles Fairbairn, 2 Thomas Howie. Bred yearling Ram, 1 I. Walker, 2 Jas. Humphries. Bred tup Lamb, 1 Chas. Fairbairn, 2 R Lawson. Two yearling Ewes, 1 and 2 John L. Read. Ewe Lambs, 1 Chas. Fairbairn, 2 I Walker. Two Ewes that have raised lambs this year, 1 I. Walker, 2 Thos. Howie. Boar under 9 months old, 1 J. L. Read, 2 Jas. Gallagher. Aged Sow, 1 Thos. Staples. Sow under 9 months old, 1 Thomas Staples.
POULTRY.--Pair of Geese, 1 W. Ventress, 2 Mrs. James McConnell. Pair of Ducks, 1 Mrs. Thos. L. Davis, 2 Mrs. Jas. McConnell. Pair of Turkeys, 1 M. Ingram, 2 Mrs. James McConnell. Pair of Fowls, 1 Geo. Read.
GRAIN.--Spring white Russian Wheat, 1 J. L. Read, 2 Alex. Robinson. Wheat, any other variety, 1 John L. Read, 2 Wm. Kelso. White Peas, 1 M. Ingram, 2 Wm. Ventress. Black Oats, 1 M. Ingram, 2 Alex. Robinson. Oats of any other sort, 1 W. Ventress, 2 J. Kelso, Jr. Barley, 1 Jos. Kelso, Jr., 2 Wm. Ventress. Timothy Seed, 1 Wm. Mulligan, 2 Thomas Howie. White Beans, 1 Thomas Cheetham, 2 R. Lawson. Yellow Corn, 1 H. McLaughlin, 2 James Bick. White Corn, 1 H. McLaughlin.
ROOTS, FRUITS AND VEGETABLES.--Cup Potatoes, 1 John Bredin, 2 John Martin. Potatoes, any other sort, 1 Chas. E. Tiers, 2 Jas. Goodenough. Turnips, 1 J. L. Read, 2 Jas. McConnell. Mangold Wurtzels, 1 Charles Fairbairn, 2 W. Ventress. Onions, 1 James McConnell, 2 W. Ventress. Potato Onions, 1 M. Ingram, 2 R. Lawson. Garden Carrots, 1 C. E. Tiers, 2 W. Goodenough. Field Carrots, 1 Chas. Fairbairn, 2 Jas. Goodenough. Cabbages, 1 Ric'd Lawson, 2 W. Ventress. Blood Beets, 1 W. Ventress, 2 Jas. Gallagher. Parsnips, 1 J. McFeeters, 2 C. E. Tiers. Red Tomatoes, 1 C. E. Tiers. Table Apples, 1 Alex. Robinson, 2 J. McFeeters. Variety Apples, 1 A. Robinson, 2 J. McFeeters. Musk Melons, 1 W. Ventress. Pumpkins, 1 J. Gallagher, 2 Chas. Fairbairn. Winter Crab Apples; 1 M. Ingram, 2 Jas. Goodenough. Cluster Grapes; 1 Chas. Fairbairn, 2 W. Ventress. Water Melons, 1 W. Ventress.
DAIRY AND DOMESTIC PRODUCTS.--Firkin Butter, 1 Miss M. Ventress, 2 Mrs. James McConnell. Fives Ibs. Butters, 1 Mrs. Alex. Robinson, 2 Mrs. James Junkin, 3 Miss M. Ventress. Loaf home-made Bread, 1 Mrs. Jos. Junkin, 2 Mrs. Jas. Morrison. Straw Hat, hand made, 1 and 2 Thos. Staples. Six Ibs. Maple Sugar, 1 Mrs. Jos. Junkin, 2 Mrs. Jas. Morrison. Fivs Ibs. Honey, 1 and 2 John Junkin, Jr. Five yards Flannel mixed, 1 Mrs. John Patterson, 2 Mrs. Jos. Junkin. Flannel, all wool, 1 Miss M. A. Ingram, 2 Mrs. John Patterson. Woollen Stocking yarn, 1 Mrs. John Lyle, 2 Mrs. M. Ingram.
LADIES' WORK.--Patch Cotton Quilt, 1 Mrs. Chas. Fairbairn, 2 Mrs. Alex. Robinson. Patched Woollen Quilt, 1 Mrs. M. Ingram. Fulled Cloth, 1 Mrs. M. Ingram, 2 Mrs. John Patterson. Woollen Socks, 1 Mrs. M. Ingram, 2 Miss M. Lawson. Woollen Mitts, 1 Mrs. R. Lawson, 2 Miss M. A. Ingram. Sample Work, 1 Miss Boyd, 2 Miss A. Orr. Embroidery, 1 and 2 Mrs. Irwin Junkin. Fine Shirt, hand made, unironed, 1st and 2nd Mrs. Irwin Junkin. Home made Blankets, 1 Mrs. John Bredin, 2 Mrs. Jas. Morrison. Fancy Knitting, 1 Mrs. Wm. Kelso, 2 Miss M. J. McConnell. Tatting, 1 Miss I. Patterson. Bead Work, Mrs. Jas. Edmison. Worsted Braiding, 1 Miss M. A. Ingram, 2 Mrs. I. Junkin. Rag Carpet; 1 Mrs. Jas. Edmison. Woolleen Yarn Mat, 1st and end, Mrs. John Bredin. Rag Mat, 1 Mrs. I. Junkin. Seed Wreath, 1 Miss M. A. Ingram. Cone Work, 1 and 2 Miss M. Patterson. Crotchet Work, 1 and 2 Miss M. Lawson.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Type
- The prize list from the Verulam Fall Show by the Verulam Agricultural Society.
- Date of Publication
- 23 Oct 1880
- Personal Name(s)
- Junkin, J., Jr. ; Lawson, R. ; Junkin, Joseph ; Goulais, J. ; Eastland, G. ; Morrison, James ; Bottum, E. ; Deyell, W. ; Martin, John ; Read, J. L. ; Davis, Thomas L ; Humphries, James ; Mann, John ; Staples, Thomas ; Ventress, W. ; Bredin, J. ; Gallagher, J. ; Stewart, John ; Kelso, William ; Cheetham, Thomas ; McFeeters, John ; Fairbairn, Charles ; Howie, Thomas ; Walker, I. ; McConnell, James, Mrs. ; Davis, Thomas L., Mrs. ; Ingram, M. ; Read, George ; Robinson, Alexander ; Mulligan, William ; McLaughlin, H. ; Bick, James ; Tiers, Charles E. ; Goodenough, James ; Goodenough, W. ; Lawson, Richard ; Ventress, M. ; Robinson, Alexander, Mrs. ; Junkin, James, Mrs. ; Junkin, Joseph, Mrs. ; Morrison, James, Mrs. ; Junkin, John, jr. ; Patterson, John, Mrs. ; Ingram, M. A. ; Lyle, John, Mrs. ; Ingram, M., Mrs. ; Fairbairn, Charles, Mrs. ; Lawson, M. ; Lawson, R., Mrs. ; Boyd, Miss ; Orr, A. ; Junkin, Irwin, Mrs. ; Bredin, John, Mrs. ; Kelso, William, Mrs. ; McConnell, M. J. ; Patterson, I. ; Edmison, James, Mrs.
- Corporate Name(s)
- Verulam Agricultural Society
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6