- Fenelon Falls Gazette, 27 Nov 1880, p. 2, column 3
- Full Text
On Monday evening last a social party of some thirty of our business men sat down to an oyster supper prepared by mine host of the McArthur House. The chair was occupied by A. A. McDonald, Esq., and the vice-chair by J. D. Naylor, Esq., ex-wardon of the county. The occasion of the gathering was the celebration of the birthday of Mr. J. J. Power, who has been in business here for some years and is now retiring, and the event was readily seized upon by his numerous friends to express their kindly feelings towards him, and to wish him a successful career in the future. Mr. John A. Ellis, as the successor of Mr. Power in business, was made an equal recipient of the honours of the occasion, and the warmest wishes for his success in mercantile business were unanimously expressed. The evening, as is usual under such circumstances, was spent very pleasantly in songs and speeches, ably contributed by the following gentlemen: D. G. Smith, Richard Smith, J. J. Murray, Wm. Campbell, Edward Fitzgerald, M. H. Cochrane, F. McDougall, J. Jarvis, John Matthie, M. Sheppard, S. Foster and others. The entertainment was a decided success, everything passing off satisfactorily, and the supper reflecting the greatest credit on the worthy host and hostess of the McArthur House, who at all times bestow the usmost care for the comfort and enjoyment of their guests, who on this as on other occasions expressed their thanks; after which, about the "wee sma' hours," the proceedings were terminated by the whole party singing the national anthem.
- Media Type
- Genealogical Resource
- Item Type
- An account of an oyster supper birthday and retirement party held for J. J. Power and attended by 30 local businessmen.
- Date of Publication
- 27 Nov 1880
- Personal Name(s)
- McDonald, A. A., Esq. ; Naylor, J. D., Esq. ; Power, J. J. ; Ellis, John A. ; Smith, D. G. ; Smith, Richard ; Murray, J. J. ; Campbell, William ; Fitzgerald, Edward ; Cochrane, M. H. ; McDougall, F. ; Jarvis, J. ; Matthie, John ; Sheppard, M. ; Foster, S.
- Corporate Name(s)
- McArthur House
- Language of Item
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Kawartha Lakes Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address190 Kent St W.
Lindsay, ON K9V 2Y6