Thurston Album of Dunsford History
Thurston's General Store
page 43 - W. F. Woollard Dry Goods & Groceries Details
The Woollard General Store was built in 1904 and operated by the Woollards until 1930. This substantial red brick store reflects the Edwardian style of construction and design, looking distinctively different than the Victorian frame stores seen in many of Ontario's villages and hamlets.
page 47 - Interior Thurston's Store Details
The store was owned by Mike & Isobel Wannamaker from 1948 to 1961.
page 45 - Big Bill Thurston Details
Big Bill Thurston inside Wannamaker's store, 1949. Mike Wannamaker & Frank Thurston in background.
page 51 - Dunsford Store Changes Hands Details
Bill and Myrna Thurston operated the store as partners with Mike & Isobel Wannamaker from 1955 to 1961. The Thurstons bought out the Wannamakers and took full ownership in 1961 and operated the Thurston's General Store until July 1985, when they sold the business to Wayne & Laurie Shea.
page 48 - Thurston's General Store Details
Store owners Bill & Myrna Thurston, 1983.
page 52 - Dunsford General Store Details
By 1987 the "general store" had become a modern "convenience store" with post office.
Additional materials - Thurston's Store grocery bag Details