The Greenhurst Dance Pavilion opened in 1932. The two-storey hall was built in the late 1920s by Martin Thurston, who started regular dance gatherings in a barn on the site upon his return from the First World War. He put the dance floor on the upper level of the building so he could maintain control over admittance. Thurston brought in big bands and required formal attire.
Martin Thurston with wife, Vi Thurston on left. They operated Greenhurst Pavilion until 1945. Also in the photo are Len Hopkins and band members. The front row is staff members for the soda fountain & restaurant that were in lower level of dance hall.
Addendum page 1 - Greenhurst Pavilion staff and band Details
Accounts say legendary big bands played the Greenhurst during the 1930s and 40s, including Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Woody Herman, and Les Brown. 'Bill Haley and the Comets' played the pavilion in the 1950s and 'Little Caesar and the Consuls' played there in the 1960s. The 1980s brought in Honeymoon Suite, and the 1990s saw Sass Jordan take the stage.
Disaster struck in 1998 when fire leveled the pavilion, bringing decades of music and dancing to an end.