Sapper Hugh C. Elliott, Royal Canadian Engineers
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of Sapper Hugh C. Elliott, Royal Canadian Engineers, Field Company Sixteen.
- Hugh C. Elliott was born on 7 February 1899. He attended Galt Collegiate Institute, and later graduated from the Ontario Agricultural College with a B.S.A. degree. Elliott operated the family farm named "Inglewood" in North Dumfries Township which had been settled by his grandfather in 1832.
In 1918-19, he was in the advance party of the 16th Field Company, Canadian Engineers, C.E.F., Siberia in Vladivostok.
He was active in the municipal affairs of North Dumfries serving as Clerk and Treasurer from 1933 to 1971, secretary-treasurer of the Area School Board from 1946 to 1952, and of the High School District Board from 1929 to 1967. In 1945, he was President of the South Waterloo Agricultural Society and the Secretary-Treasurer from 1946 to 1952, as well as being a charter director of Doon Pioneer Village.
His experience in municipal affairs, farming and his concern for conservation work led to various offices on the Grand Valley Conservation Authority from 1966 to 1974, and was appointed to the G.R.C.A. Honour Roll in 1976.
In 1923, Elliott married Jean Barrie. They had two daughters. Jean Elliott died in 1959 and he later married Irene Fink in 1963.
He died on 17 March 1995 at the age of 97.
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
Width: 12.7 cm
Height: 17.6 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 11cm
Image Height: 16cm
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1