W.H. (William Henry) Schmalz and a group of unidentified men on the steps of his home
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white photograph of W.H. Schmalz and a group of unidentified men, on the steps of his home, located at the corner of Queen Street South and George Street, Berlin (later Kitchener), Ontario.
W.H. Schmalz is the man wearing the hat in the back row.
- W.H. (William Henry) Schmalz (1862 – 1933) was an insurance company executive and politician in Ontario, Canada. He served as mayor of Kitchener from 1911 to 1912.
He was born on 31 December 1862 in Berlin, ON. In 1878, he joined the Economical Mutual Fire Insurance Company and in 1908, later became managing director. He worked for the company until his death in 1933. Schmalz served 18 years on the hospital board, including three as president. He was also a member of the Board of Trade. With W.J. Morris, he managed the Berliner Journal.
He married Eleanor Oelschlager. His son William Henry Eugene Schmalz was an architect and designed the first city hall for the city of Kitchener.
He died on 9 May 1933 in Kitchener, ON and was buried in the Mount Hope (Kitchener) Cemetery.
- Date of Original
- Date Of Event
Width: 9 cm
Height: 6.3 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 8.6cm
Image Height: 5.8cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Schmalz, W.H. (William Henry), 1862-1933
- Local identifier
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.447689619669 Longitude: -80.4911667141819
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1