Ainsworth, Albert Ernest
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A white index card containing the name, rank and military history of a soldier of Waterloo County.
- Ainsworth, Albert Edward
Albert Ernest Ainsworth was born on January 19, 1876 in Barrow-On-Soar, Leicestershire, England. He was married to Elizabeth Wilson of Barrow-On-Soar. They had 3 children born in England: Walter, Ida and Hilda. A fourth child, Beatrice, was born in Ontario in 1908, after their arrival in Canada.
According to the 1911 Census of Canada, Albert and family resided at 33 King Street, Elmira. He worked as a labourer in a felt factory.
According to his obituary in April 2, 1946 edition of the Elmira Signet, Albert died suddenly of a heart attack at the Link Belt Ltd. He was 70 years of age. He had just completed his work for the day when he suffered the attack.
He had been engaged as a shipper at the foundry for 20 years. He attended Wesley United Church and was a member of the Legion, having served in the First Great War with the 118th Battalion for four years.
He is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Wilson, whom he married at Leicester, England, in December, 1900, three daughters, Mrs. Ernest (Hilda) Evans and Mrs. Clifford (Ida) Vines, Elmira, and Mrs. Frank (Beatrice) Simons, Ajax, Ont., five grandchildren, one brother, John, and one foster brother, Herbert, both of Elmira and one sister in England.
One son, Walter, died in infancy and one brother, Walter, and one foster sister, Mrs. Harold Engler, also predeceased him. The remains rested at the home from 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon until Monday morning when removal was made to the Dreisinger Funeral Chapel, following a private service at 10:30 a.m.
The Link-Belt Foundry was closed on that day and his fellow employees attended the service in a body. Also present were members of the Legion, commemorating the fact that he was a veteran of the First Great War. Poppies were placed on the casket by members of the Poppy Association. Interment was made in the Elmira Cemetery.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
- Personal Name(s):
- Ainsworth, A.E. ; Ainsworth, Albert Ernest ; Wilson, Elizabeth ; Ainsworth, Beatrice ; Ainsworth, Hilda ; Ainsworth, Ida ; Ainsworth, Walter
- Local identifier:
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Birthplace and marriage:
England, United Kingdom
Place of residence, death and burial:
Place of enlistment:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Recommended Citation:
- Kitchener Public Library - Soldier Information Card Collection - World War One
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1
- Full Text
His home is in Elmira, Ontario.
He enlisted in Kitchener.