Herbert J. Bowman
- Yost, Levi R., 1860-1939, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white head and shoulders studio photograph of Herbert Joseph Bowman, wearing a white hat with a dark band.
- Herbert Joseph Bowman was born on 18 June 1865 in Berlin, Ontario. He was the son of Israel D. Bowman. Herbert studied at the University of Toronto and graduated in Civil Engineering in 1885. In 1885, his last year of university, he joined the Queen's Own Rifles and took part in the suppression of the Riel Rebellion. He later became a member of the 29th Regiment of Waterloo County, and later served as its Commanding Officer.
Herbert apprenticed as a land surveyor with Peter Silas Gibson and passed his final exam on 7 January 1887. He qualified as a Dominion Land Surveyor and practiced as a land surveyor and civil engineer in Berlin. He was responsible for the design of Berlin's sewer system, including sewage disposal works. He was also interested in the Good Roads Movement. Elected as a City Waterworks Commissioner in 1899, Bowman also served as County Clerk from 1896 to 1916, in the footsteps of his father, Israel D. Bowman. In addition, Bowman served as Inspector of County Roads and Inspector of the House of Refuge.
Upon the outbreak of World War One, Col. Bowman organized the 108th Militia Regiment and was its Commanding Officer. This regiment supplied most of the officers and over two hundred and fifty men to the 118th Overseas Battalion.
A Liberal in politics, Bowman was also a member of First Church of Christ Scientist. He was married to Edith Walker in 1889. Together they raised 4 children: Hope, Ruth, Victor and Ernest. He died on 19 June 1916 after a prolonged illness and was buried at Mount Hope Cemetery.
Levi R. Yost operated a photographic studio in Elmira, Ontario from 1888 to 1900 and later in Kitchener from approximately 1911 to 1931. Yost Studios were located at 12 King St. West (later 175 King St. West.)
- Below the oval portrait: The Yost Studio, Berlin CAN
- Date of Original:
Width: 15.5 cm
Height: 23.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 9cm
Image Height: 13cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Bowman, Herbert Joseph ; Bowman, H.J. ; Bowman, Herbert J.
- Local identifier:
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1