Merchants Rubber Company factory building under construction
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white photograph of the construction of the Merchants Rubber Company factory in Berlin, Ontario. Several men can be seen standing in front of the building.
- The factory was located on Breithaupt Street in Berlin (later Kitchener) Ontario.
The Merchants Rubber Company was formed in 1903, in Berlin Ontario, by Jacob Kaufman and Talmon H. Rieder. Local retail merchants were invited to become stockholders. While the company was organized in 1903, footwear production did not start until spring of 1904. In 1907, Merchants, along with Berlin Rubber Co., was taken over by the Canadian Consolidated Rubber Company, a holding company of the Canadian Rubber Company. The name of the company changed in 1926 to Dominion Rubber. Footwear was manufactured at its Breithaupt Street plant until 1966. Following the production of footwear, the plant produced various plastic and rubber products, such as coated fabrics, sponge carpet underpadding and crashpads, under the Uniroyal Company banner.
- On image, top right corner: Merchant's Rubber Company Buildings, Berlin, Provincial Construction Co. Limited, 23 Jordan Street, Toronto, Kohn System of Reinforcement.
- Date of Original
Width: 25.5 cm
Height: 20.6 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 24.3cm
Image Height: 15.4cm
- Corporate Name(s)
- Merchants Rubber Company ; Merchants Rubber Company Limited
- Local identifier
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1