Christmas lights crew
- Mystery Question
- Can you identify any of the other men in this photograph?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white photograph of five men, dressed in winter clothing, standing on an unidentified rooftop in downtown Kitchener. The two men on the left are holding a Christmas star light decoration.
- The men in the photograph are likely affiliated with the Kitchener Horticultural Society (KHS), which took over the Christmas decorating of King Street and City Hall, during the KHS presidency of Charles H. Janzen.
The only man identified in the image is Charles Henry (C.H.) Janzen, on the far left. He is holding the outer edge of the Christmas star light decoration. Charles Henry Janzen was born on 9 Sep 1880 in Berlin, Ontario. Janzen, who was president of the Kitchener Horticultural Society from 1934-1963, was instrumental in the civic beautification movement in Kitchener, including the development of Rockway Gardens and the Janzen Horticultural Gardens on King Street East. Charles Janzen died on 31 December 1963.
- Reverse: Getting stars ready for City of Kitchener Christmas - Kitchener Hort. Society - C.H. Janzen on left side.
- Date of Original
- Winter 1944
Width: 25.2 cm
Height: 20.5 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 22.8cm
Image Height: 18cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Janzen, C.H. ; Janzen, Charles Henry
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmailgsrphoto@kpl.orgWWW address
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1