Exterior view of Berdux Meat Market
- Denton, Ernest, 1883-1957, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white matted photograph of the Berdux Meat Market storefront. The butcher shop was located at 95 King Street West, Kitchener. There are four men standing in front of the shop, two on each side of the storefront. Valentine "Val" Berdux is standing second from left in a white coat and cap. George Berdux is believed to be standing on the far rigth in a dark coat and hat.
The shop name "Berdux Meat Market" appears above the large glass display window. An area of tiling separates the storefront name from the display window.
The name "Berdux Meat Market: Fresh & Cured Meats" is visible at the top of the display window. The banner continues on the side wall towards the door and reads "Schneider Sausages".
The front window display has a Christmas banner with ribbon, bells and ivy below the name banner. Three large carcasses and fowl are displayed in the front window.
The door to the shop is on the right hand side of the display window and is recessed from the sidewalk. The door is decorated for Christmas. The words "Snider's" "Merry Christmas" and "Ingersoll Cream Cheese" are visible on the door, as is the outline of a man, possibly photographer, Ernest Denton.
The sign for the dental office of Dr. Harry M. Katzenmier is visible above the heads of the two men on the left.
- The Berdux butcher shop was located at 342 King Street West, Kitchener, according to the 1924-1925 city directory. The shop was then located at 95 King Street West, Kitchener from 1925 to sometime in 1927. According the 1927-1928 city directory and later editions, there was no Kitchener location.
The family also operated a store at 36 King Street North, Waterloo, Ontario. The business first appears in the 1920 city directory and continued beyond 1930. The business was also known as Berdux Brothers Meat Market.
Ernest Denton was a photographer in Berlin/Kitchener from approximately 1912 to 1955. He operated photography studios at various locations in the city.
- Date of Original:
- Dec 1925
Width: 35 cm
Height: 30 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 23.8cm
Image Height: 19cm
- Corporate Name(s):
- Berdux Meat Market ; Berdux Brothers Meat Market
- Local identifier:
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1