Doon Twines boarding house, Doon, Ontario
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white reprint of a photograph of the Doon Twines boarding house, known as "The Terrace". A flower garden can be seen in the foreground and a car and garage are visible on the far right.
- The Doon Twine mill was established in 1853 by brothers, Joseph, William and Moses Perine, along with a flax mill in the community known as Upper Doon, Ontario. The community was also known as Tow Town. The twine mill produced twine, rope, and picture and curtain cordage.
The building in this photograph is a two storey structure, built circa 1880 by Joseph and Moses Perine. Known as the “The Terrace ”, it was built to accommodate the workers that were brought from England, Ireland and Scotland to work in the flax and twine mills. The building features a side gable, nine bays, terracotta red brick, and three chimneys.
The company was bought in 1906 by Berlin industrialist, Hartman Krug. He moved the operations of Doon Twine to Kitchener in 1916, locating it in the former Canadian Regal Motors Limited car plant, at the corner of Ottawa and Charles Streets in Kitchener.
In 1979, Doon Twines and Canada Cordage were amalgamated and continued operations under the name Canada Cordage Inc.
This photo is in excellent condition.
- Date of Original:
Width: 25.3 cm
Height: 20.1 cm
- Corporate Name(s):
- Doon Twines Limited
- Local identifier:
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1