E.J. Shantz Grocery store, Frederick Street, Berlin
- Mystery Question
- Can you identify either of the clerks in this photo?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A black and white photograph, on a mat, of the interior of the E.J. (Elo Josiah) Shantz Grocery Store, on Frederick Street, in Berlin, Ontario.
Two clerks can be seen standing and several customers are visible at the rear of the store. Stacked canned goods, meat, and kitchen implements are also visible.
A wreath and accompanying garlands hanging from the ceiling suggest that store has been decorated for Christmas.
- Original cataloguing records indicate that this was the E.J. Shantz Grocery on Frederick Street, Berlin, in 1910.
Elo Josiah (E.J.) Shantz, born 22 August 1874, in Lebanon, Wellington County, Ontario, was shown as a merchant in Berlin in the 1901 and 1911 Canadian censuses. However, his store is not listed in the 1910-1911 Berlin directory. Shantz was also an auctioneer. Shantz married Malinda Snyder on 26 September 1900 in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ontario. He died on 11 March 1954 in Kitchener, Ontario and was buried at First Mennonite Cemetery.
See also (local identifier): P001494
This photograph is in excellent condition.
- Date of Original
- December 1910
- Date Of Event
- December 1910
Width: 19.4 cm
Height: 14.5 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17.1cm
Image Height: 13cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Shantz, E.J., 1874-1954 ; Shantz, Elo Josiah, 1874-1954, Snyder, Malinda, 1875-1934
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1