E.J. Shantz Grocery store, Frederick Street, Berlin, Ontario
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify any of the people in this photo?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white photograph, on a mat, of the exterior of the E.J. (Elo Josiah) Shantz Grocery Store, Frederick Street, in Berlin, Ontario.
Two clerks and a boy are standing near the entrance. "Salada Ceylon Tea" and "Monsoon Indo-Ceylon Tea" are painted on the windows. Baskets of merchandise are on display in front of the windows. A bunch of bananas hangs in the doorway.
- Original cataloguing records indicate that this was the E.J. Shantz Grocery on Frederick Street, Berlin, in 1910.
Elo Josiah (E.J.) Shantz, born 22 August 1874, in Lebanon, Wellington County, Ontario, was shown as a merchant in Berlin in the 1901 and 1911 Canadian censuses. However, his store is not listed in the 1910-1911 Berlin directory. Shantz was also an auctioneer. Shantz married Malinda Snyder on 26 September 1900 in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ontario. He died on 11 March 1954 in Kitchener, Ontario and was buried at First Mennonite Cemetery.
See also (local identifier): P001497
This photo is in fair condition: somewhat faded.
- Reverse: E.J. Shantz, 1910 Frederick Street near King, Berlin, Ont.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
Width: 21.1 cm
Height: 16.4 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 14cm
Image Height: 9.9cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Shantz, E.J., 1874-1954 ; Shantz, Elo Josiah, 1874-1954 ; Snyder, Malinda, 1875-1934
- Local identifier:
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1