Old Comrades Banquet, Kitchener, Ontario
- Mystery Question:
Can you help us to identify banquet attendees?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Denton, Ernest, 1883-1957, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- A black and white photograph showing the gathering of men for the Old Comrades Banquet, held on 16 January 1932, in Kitchener, Ontario.
The image shows a decorated banquet hall, possibly the Crystal Ballroom at the Walper Hotel. Based on the seating arrangements, there are four long tables, set for dinner, in the image. The room is decorated with streamers and and a large Union Jack is hanging on the rear wall in the background. A bar, with two servers, can be seen at the back of the room on the far left. In the background, waiters, dressed in white shirts and dark bowties, stand in front of raised stage, upon which a small orchestra is situated.
Mathias Potje is identified as being seated at the second table from the right, on the right hand side of the table. He is facing the camera and is the eighth person from the front.
- The Old Comrades Club was a veterans association for former German and Austro-Hungarian soldiers. It operated in Kitchener from 1926 to 1937. The club provided financial, social, and health benefit support to its members.
According to a 18 Jan 1932 article in the Kitchener Daily Record, the banquet was enjoyed by 200 invited guests, which included English and Canadian war veterans. Rudolph Roth's orchestra played under the joint direction of Karl Kranz and Charlie Bruder. Speeches, commemorating the war deaths of friends and comrades and peace, were given by German, Austro-Hungarian and Canadian veterans. The president of the Old Comrades Club, at the time of the banquet, was Gustav Lueck.
Mathias Potje was the club's first president. Mathias, born in Romania, served in the Austrian Army during World War One. He was a prisoner of war in East Russia, before immigrating to Canada. He married Johanna Marschall, on 27 August 1927, in Kitchener.
Ernest Denton was a photographer in Berlin/Kitchener from approximately 1912 to 1955. He operated photography studios at various locations in the city.
- Front: Old Comrade's [sic] Banquet, Kitchener, Ontario. Jan. 16, 1932. Denton Photo.
- Date of Original:
- 16 Jan 1932
Width: 25.7 cm
Height: 20.3 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 25cm
Image Height: 19.8cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Potje, Mathias
- Corporate Name(s):
- Old Comrades Club ; Alte Kameraden Club
- Local identifier:
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1