Hibner's Park, Berlin, Ontario
- Valentine & Sons Publishing Co., Ltd., Publisher
- Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd., Publisher
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Coloured postcard showing Hibner Park looking west from Margaret Avenue, in Berlin, Ontario. The park is bounded by two unpaved streets, Maynard Street on the right and Young Street on the left. Ahrens Street, which crosses these two streets, can be seen in the background, behind the park. The streets are lined with sidewalks and trees. The side of a house is visible in the left foreground.
- Kitchener's first park, Hibner Place (later Hibner Park) was created in the 1890s. Hibner Park is located at the intersection of Ahrens, Young & Maynard Streets.
This small park was established while Daniel Hibner was mayor of Berlin (1894-1895). The land was purchased for $350 and contained 0.5 acres.
This postcard is in fair condition: edges and corners worn; surface of picture shows postmark impression; card is soiled.
- Front [top right]: Hibner's Park, Berlin, Ont. Canada
Front [bottom right]:106.638 J.V.
Reverse [left vertical]:The Valentine & Sons Publishing Co., Ltd. Montreal and Toronto. Printed in Great Britain.
Addressee: Mrs. Henry Malinke, Gowanstown, Ont.
Correspondence: "St. Agatha Jan. the 17th 1912. Dear [indecipherable] & Henry. I will write a few lines we are all well and hope same of you's we was expecting a letter from you's last Friday we did not get the mail since Friday but want to go to St. Agatha today we have terrible cold weather since you's were here. Our nice big flower plant froze with the big leaves and we had a coal fire all night Ma and Dadie are asked to Schriber [?] and Lohr wedding Jan. 24 they are not going up. I wrote a letter to Katie this week. Mrs. Gensmer [?] went home was not here it was 9 oclock New Years evening when they come to Williams. She was in a hurry to get home to wash for Battenbergs. She will come with [indecipherable]some day. Love from us all [indecipherable] [indecipherable]
Cancellation stamp:ST AGATHA ONT JAN 12
- Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd.
- Date of Original
- [between 1910 and 1912]
Width: 13.7 cm
Height: 8.9 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 13.7cm
Image Height: 8.9cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Malinke, Henry (Mrs.)
- Corporate Name(s)
- Hibner Park ; Hibner's Park
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1