Doon Twines Limited employees
- Mystery Question
- Can you identify any of the people in this photograph?[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Card-Gillespie Photo, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white outdoor group photograph of the staff and management of Doon Twines Limited. The photograph is taken in front of the Doon Twines building; the sign indicating the office is clearly visible. Fifty employees, men and women, are arranged in three rows.
Charles (Chuck) Myers has been identified as being the fourth person from the left in the back row.
John Krug, manager of Doon Twine, has been identified as standing in the middle row, on the far right.
Next to John Krug, William H. Roos has been identified as the man wearing a suit and tie. He is the second from the right, in the middle row.
Anna Gertrude "Dolly" Roos (nee Krug), youngest daughter of owner Hartman Krug, and wife of William H. Roos, is seated in the front row, the 8th person from the right side.
- The Doon Twine mill was established in 1853 by brothers, Joseph, William and Moses Perine, along with a flax mill in the community known as Upper Doon, Ontario. The community was also known as Tow Town. The twine mill produced twine, rope, and picture and curtain cordage.
The company was bought in 1906 by Berlin industrialist, Hartman Krug. He moved the operations of Doon Twine to Kitchener in 1916, locating it in the former Canadian Regal Motors Limited car plant, at the corner of Ottawa and Charles Streets in Kitchener.
In 1979, Doon Twines and Canada Cordage were amalgamated and continued operations under the name Canada Cordage Inc.
This photograph is in good condition; some minor streaking, spotting, and creasing, as well as small tears along the border.
- [bottom, right]: Photo Card-Gillespie
[bottom, middle]: Kitchener, Ont. June-1934
- Date of Original
- June 1934
- Date Of Event
- June 1934
Width: 50.6 cm
Height: 2.1 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 48.1cm
Image Height: 18.2cm
- Personal Name(s)
- Myers, Charles (Chuck) ; Roos, William Harry ; Roos, Anna Gertrude "Dolly" Krug ; Krug, John
- Corporate Name(s)
- Doon Twines Limited
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1