Kitchener Public Utilities Commission street car no. 38
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black and white image, dated 23 September 1944, shows the right side (passenger entrance side) of Kitchener Public Utilities Commission street car number 38 facing west and situated on track outside the PUC "car barn" on King Street East, opposite Rockway Gardens in Kitchener, Ontario.
A small section of the "car barn" is visible on the far left.
The clubhouse of the Rockway Golf Club is visible in the distance on the far right.
A tower (perhaps concrete) is visible behind the street car.
- The Kitchener Public Utilities Commission (PUC) operated a transit service in Kitchener and Waterloo from 1927 to 1973. It operated electric street railway cars along King Street in both cities from 1927 to 1946. Late in December of 1946 the streetcars were replaced with gasoline-powered buses and electric trolley buses. Even earlier the PUC had begun operating other transit routes with buses. These routes were called "cross-town lines."
The Kitchener PUC barn was situated opposite the passenger terminal (later Rockway Seniors Centre) at the east end of the street car tracks. In 2018 the car barn property is occupied by the Eastwood Community apartments at 1414 King St. E. and the Rockway Gardens Village apartments at 1420 King St. E.
The website Trainweb.org describes car No. 38 as one of two in the Kitchener PUC system made in the design known as the "Peter Witt streetcar," designed by the Cleveland Railway Co., transit operator in Cleveland, Ohio, that was headed for many years by Peter Witt. It was built in 1918.
A photo showing No. 38 also appears at the website, newdavesrailpix.com in the Kitchener & Waterloo Street Railway section of the website. Note that the information above the photo appears to describe the car as No. 35, but the photo clearly shows the 38 on the front of the car.
Two photos showing car No. 38 appear as well in the book, Ontario's Grand Valley Electric Railways, by John Mills (2010 Railfare DC Books)on pages 163 and 164.
- Advertisements on the car are visible, including:
Bullas Brothers Ltd. furniture store, Kitchener.
Alexander Garage, Waterloo. "Repairs of all makes cars & trucks."
- Date of Original
- 23 Sep 1944
Width: 17.7 cm
Height: 12.6 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17.3cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Corporate Name(s)
- Kitchener Public Utilities Commission ; Kitchener PUC ; Rockway Golf Club
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Kitchener PUC car barns:
Latitude: 43.4399230091877 Longitude: -80.4663281175995
- Kitchener PUC car barns:
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1