Kitchener Public Utilities Commission street car no. 20
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Black-and-white image shows an electric streetcar, Number 20, on track inside the "car barn" operated by the Kitchener Public Utilities Commission on King Street East in the Rockway Gardens area. A sign in front of the front door of the car on the right side says, "Please Enter By Rear Door." And a sign above this says, "Waterloo," suggesting the streetcar will be bound for Waterloo. As well, the front door is marked with the words: "Enter Rear Door."
The rear door is at the very back of the car.
The streetcar has a metal rack at the front, probably to help clear the track of obstructions.
No advertising is visible.
- The Kitchener Public Utilities Commission (PUC) operated a transit service in Kitchener and Waterloo from 1927 to 1973. It operated electric street railway cars along King Street in both cities from 1927 to 1946. Late in December of 1946 the streetcars were replaced with gasoline-powered buses and electric trolley buses. Even earlier the PUC had begun operating other transit routes with buses. These routes were called "cross-town lines."
The Kitchener PUC barn was situated opposite the passenger terminal (later Rockway Seniors Centre) at the east end of the street car tracks. Street railway depot and "car barn" was located at 1402 King St. E., Kitchener. In 2018 the car barn property is occupied by the Eastwood Community apartments at 1414 King St. E. and the Rockway Gardens Village apartments at 1420 King St. E.
The website Trainweb.org says car 26 was built in 1905 by the G.C. Kuhlman Car Co. of Cleveland and obtained from the Cleveland Railway Co. in 1919 with two similar cars. No. 26 was used by the Kitchener PUC until 1947 when it was scrapped. This photo appears also at the Trainweb.org site, where a slightly larger image shows more of car No. 26.
The book Ontario's Grand River Valley Electric Railways by John M. Mills (2010, Railfare DC Books)has two photos showing car 26. It agrees Kuhlman built the car, but says this occurred in 1902.
- Date of photograph is on back of photo, Sept. 23, 1944.
- Date of Original
- 23 Sep 1944
Width: 17.7 cm
Height: 12.7 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17.4cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Corporate Name(s)
- Kitchener Public Utilities Commission ; Kitchener PUC
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4397866811962 Longitude: -80.4647080633545
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1