Kitchener Public Utilities trolley bus on King Street West in downtown Kitchener
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Undated black-and-white aerial photo shows a Kitchener Public Utilities trolley bus moving west along King Street West, in downtown Kitchener, Ontario, through the intersection of Ontario Street. The view looks south along Ontario Street.
Buildings visible include the Bank of Nova Scotia (bottom left side of image), Waterloo Trust building (middle left side), Victoria School (at south end of Ontario Street, York apartments building on Queen Street South (upper left side of image), St. Mary's Hospital on Queen's Boulevard (visible above Victoria School), Royal Bank building at 73 King St. W., on the southwest corner of King and Ontario streets.
- The Kitchener Public Utilities Commission (PUC) operated a transit service in Kitchener and Waterloo from 1927 to 1973. It operated electric street railway cars along King Street in both cities from 1927 to 1946. Late in December of 1946 the streetcars were replaced with gasoline-powered buses and electric trolley buses. Even earlier the PUC had begun operating other transit routes with buses. These routes were called "cross-town lines." Trolley buses were discontinued in March 1973.
This photo was taken from the City of Kitchener's Duke Street parking garage at Duke and Ontario streets. The St. Mary's Hospital front expansion of 1962 is visible in this image. The Duke Street parking garage was opened for use in 1968, so this photo was likely taken between 1962 and 1968.
The Bank of Nova Scotia sign partially visible is on the back wall of the bank's downtown branch at 64 King St. W., Kitchener.
Additional information might be found in the book History of Kitchener Transit, published in 1988 by the city's department of transportation services. Copies are held by the Kitchener Public Library (388.413220971345 Histo 1988).
- [Reverse of image]: Seen from parking garage.
- Date of Publication:
Width: 17.7 cm
Height: 12.6 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 17.2cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Corporate Name(s):
- Kitchener Public Utilities Commission ; Kitchener PUC
- Local identifier:
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder:
- Copyright Holder Contact Information:
- Contact the Kitchener Public Library, at the email address below, for more information.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1