Interior of Kitchener-Waterloo street car no. 22
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Undated black-and-white image shows the front interior of street car Number 22 once used in Kitchener and Waterloo.
A no-smoking sign is visible hanging from the ceiling of the car. The driver's area is shown. Cushioned bench seating is visible.
The location is unknown.
- The Kitchener Public Utilities Commission operated a transit service in Kitchener and Waterloo from 1927 to 1973. It operated electric street railway cars along King Street in both cities from 1927 to 1946. Late in December of 1946 the streetcars were replaced with gasoline-powered buses and electric trolley buses. Even earlier the PUC had begun operating other transit routes with buses. These routes were called "cross-town lines."
Earlier the Berlin & Waterloo Street Railway (later the Kitchener-Waterloo Street Railway) operated a street railway transit system in the two cities.
A history of local street railway service on the website Trainweb.org says "double truck" car No. 22 was purchased from Preston Car & Coach (Preston Car Co.) in 1912 by the Berlin & Waterloo Street Railway. Ownership passed to the Kitchener-Waterloo Street Railway operated by the Kitchener Public Utilities Commission. Car 22 was sold for scrap in 1947. Double truck cars can operate in either direction.
Preston Car Co. operated in Preston, ON from 1908 to 1923. In 1912 it also sold car No. 24 to the Berlin & Waterloo Street Railway. It had the same design as No. 22. Two photos showing car No. 24 appear on page 171 of the book, Ontario's Grand River Valley Electric Railways, by John Mills (2010, Railfare - DC Books).
- Back of original photo had the inscription: "Kit.-Waterloo car 22."
- Date of Publication
Width: 17.7 cm
Height: 12.6 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17.2cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Corporate Name(s)
- Kitchener Public Utilities Commission ; Kitchener PUC
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4501 Longitude: -80.48299
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1