Three scrapped Kitchener-Waterloo street railway cars
- Media Type
- Item Type
- Three obsolete Kitchener-Waterloo Street Railway cars sit beside a pile of removed rail track on the grounds of the Kitchener Public Utilities Commission "car barn" on King Street East in the Rockway Gardens area of Kitchener. In 2018 this is roughly opposite the City of Kitchener's Rockway Centre, a municipal community centre at 1405 King St. E., Kitchener.
The car on the right is marked No. 18.
Four homes that front on King Street East are visible in the top left of the photo. Another house and a shed are visible on the far right side of the photo.
- The Kitchener Public Utilities Commission operated a transit service in Kitchener and Waterloo from 1927 to 1973. It operated electric street railway cars along King Street in both cities from 1927 to 1946. Late in December of 1946 the streetcars were replaced with gasoline-powered buses and electric trolley buses. Even earlier the PUC had begun operating other transit routes with buses. These routes were called "cross-town lines."
The Kitchener PUC "car barn," was situated opposite the passenger terminal (in 2019 the City of Kitchener's Rockway Centre) at the east end of the street car system's tracks. In 2019 the car barn property is occupied by the Eastwood Community apartments at 1414 King St. E. and the Rockway Gardens Village apartments at 1420 King St. E.
The website Trainweb.org says car 18 was a sweeper car, obtained in 1924 and scrapped in 1947. Car 14 was obtained in 1910 and scrapped in 1947. It was also a sweeper. Car 16 may have been identified incorrectly. Trainweb.org says car 16 was obtained in 1900 and scrapped in 1922.
The four homes (rear view) on the left were still standing in January 2019. The home on the left, closest to the "car barn" property, is at 1354 King St. E. and in 2019 holds a private clinic operated by two podiatric consultants.
- Information on the back of the photo indicates these are cars 18, 14 and 16.
- Date of Original
- Spring 1943
Width: 17.7 cm
Height: 12.6 cm
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17.2cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Corporate Name(s)
- Kitchener Public Utilities Commission ; Kitchener PUC ; Kitchener-Waterloo Street Railway
- Local identifier
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.4397087793489 Longitude: -80.4658667776489
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1