Kitchener Public Utilities trolley buses on King Street West, Kitchener
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Undated black-and-white image shows two Kitchener Public Utilities Commission trolley buses passing each other on a section of King Street East in Kitchener, Ontario, just east of Young Street. Several retail storefronts are visible. There are pedestrians on the sidewalk.
Store signs visible on right side (south side of King Street, from right to left) include Meissner Travel Agent, Schneider HiFi, Vic Tanny’s Health Spa, Walters Jewellers, Zacks (women's wear).
There is a curbed "island" visible in the centre of the King Street roadway.
- The Kitchener Public Utilities Commission operated a transit service in Kitchener and Waterloo from 1927 to 1973. It operated electric street railway cars along King Street in both cities from 1927 to 1946. Late in December of 1946 the streetcars were replaced with gasoline-powered buses and electric trolley buses. Even earlier the PUC had begun operating other transit routes with buses. These routes were called "cross-town lines." The trolley bus numbers in this image can't be identified. Trolley bus use ended in 1973
The Meissner Travel Agent business was operated by Ernest (Ernie) Meissner, who as a young man represented Canada as a diver at the 1959 Pam-Am Games in Chicago the 1960 Rome Olympics and the 1962 British Empire Games in Perth, Australia. He later also operated Ernie Meissner's Platinum Nautilus Fitness Centre at 155 King St. W., Kitchener in the space where Vic Tanny's Health Spa is shown in the photo. Meissner Travel was in business in 1965, possibly earlier.
- Date of Publication:
Width: 17.7 cm
Height: 12.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 17.2cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Meissner, Ernest ; Meissner, Ernie
- Corporate Name(s):
- Kitchener Public Utilities Commission ; Kitchener PUC ; Meissner Travel Agent
- Local identifier:
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
King Street West in downtown Kitchener:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder Contact Information:
- Contact the Kitchener Public Library, at the email address below, for more information.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1