Kitchener Public Utilities Commission trolley bus on King Street West, Kitchener
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Undated black-and-white photo shows a Kitchener Public Utilities Commission trolley bus travelling east on King Street West near the Queen Street intersection in the heart of downtown Kitchener, Ontario.
A handful of cars and storefronts are visible. The Walper Terrace Hotel entrance (with a canopy over the sidewalk) on the southwest corner of King and Queen streets is visible behind the bus. There appears to be an advertising board attached to the top of the bus.
There is a thin, dark shadow visible above the bus on the wall of the hotel.
A handful of other buildings and storefronts are visible along King Street West. On the far right of the image you can see the Waterloo Trust & Savings Co. building on the southeast corner of King and Ontario streets.
- The Kitchener PUC, as it was commonly known, operated a transit service in Kitchener and Waterloo from 1927 to 1973. Trolley buses were used along King Street from 1947 to 1973. The name Kitchener Public Utilities Commission name dates to 1924. As well as transit services, the commission provided electricity and gas to city residents and businesses. It ceased to exist in 1973.
Automobiles appear to be models commonly seen in the 1960s and 1970s.
For most of the 20th century the Walper Terrace Hotel was the largest and best-known hotel in Kitchener. The canopy over the King Street entrance was later removed. The Walper Terrace Hotel (in 2019 The Walper Hotel) is at 20 Queen St. S., Kitchener with an entrance on King Street West as well. The building address is sometimes given as 1 - 11 King St. W., Kitchener. The building dates to 1893, but has undergone many physical changes over the years. The original owner in 1893 was Abel Walper.
- Date of Publication:
Width: 17.7 cm
Height: 12.4 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 17.2cm
Image Height: 12cm
- Corporate Name(s):
- Kitchener Public Utilities Commission ; Kitchener PUC ; Walper Hotel ; Walper Terrace Hotel ; Waterloo Trust and Savings Co.
- Local identifier:
- Kitchener Public Library
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
Walper Terrace Hotel, downtown Kitchener:
- Copyright Statement:
- Protected by copyright: Uses other than research or private study require the permission of the rightsholder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Copyright Date:
- Copyright Holder Contact Information:
- Contact the Kitchener Public Library, at the email address below, for more information.
- Location of Original:
- If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs
Kitchener Public Library
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1