Martin's Meeting Place
- McLennan, Sid, Photographer
- Media Type
- Item Type
- A coloured image from the Waterloo County Scenic Calendar of 1940 showing a gathering of Mennonites at Martin's Meeting House on King Street North, in Waterloo, Ontario. The meeting house is located at the corner of King and Bridge Streets.
The photograph shows the meeting house in the background on the right and a gathering of adherents standing in front of the building. A couple in a horse-drawn wagon are leaving the the meeting house property along a driveway in the foreground. Other horses and buggies are in the background.
There is text at the bottom of the image.
- This is a page from the 1940 Waterloo County Scenic Calendar.
The meeting house was built in 1848 and named Martin’s as it was located on the former Peter Martin farm.
It long served Mennonites in Woolwich Township as the only meetinghouse built north of Waterloo for several years. Over time, it was home to the Mennonite Conference of Ontario (until 1889) and the Old Order Mennonite Church (1889-1993). Since its closure in December 1993, it has been occasionally used for funerals. The adjoining cemetery is the final resting place of many of the Region’s earliest pioneers.
- [Front]: Sunday afternoon at Martin's Meeting Place, St. Jacobs Highway. Prize winning photo by Sid McLennan, 44 Caroline St., Kitchener.
- Date of Original
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 22.4
Image Height: 15.9
- Personal Name(s)
- McLennan, Sid
- Corporate Name(s)
- Martin's Meeting Place ; Martin's Meeting House ; Martin's Meetinghouse
- Local identifier
- Waterloo Historical Society
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.5092070595556 Longitude: -80.5404225927734
- Copyright Statement
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
- Location of Original
- Kitchener Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address
85 Queen North
Kitchener, ON N2H 2H1