Fleming Scott Gilchrist House, 22 Hanes Street, Huntsville, Ontario taken in 1933.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- View of house at 22 Hanes Street, Huntsville, Ontario, taken in 1933.
- Morley College was on this site from 1896 when it was built until 1899 when it was destroyed by fire. In 1901 the property was sold to John Thomas Fleming, a stonemason from Sinclair Township. He designed and built the present stone house at 22 Hanes Street overlooking the Muskoka River. In 1907 the property was sold to Mary Jane Clarke, a widow, for $1450. She took in boarders. In 1914 the house was sold to William Scott from Eramosa, who taught at the Huntsville Public School from 1917-1929. He grew vegetables, kept chickens, sold eggs and had horses in a barn behind the house. In 1931 the property was sold to Jack and Evelyn Gilchrist. In 1940 the upstairs was made into an apartment. Evelyn Gilchrist was the granddaughter of Andrew Tait of Orillia who organized the Heath, Tait and Turnbull Lumber Company in 1886. In 1892 this firm became the Huntsville Lumber Company with Andrew Tait as President.
- Date of Original:
- Date Of Event:
- Local identifier:
- Huntsville Heritage Collection
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
Huntsville Public Library
Agency street/mail address
7 Minerva St. E.
Huntsville, ON P1H1W4