Unveiling plaque on old Baptist Church in Queenston
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph of local politicians and historians during a ceremony of unveiling a historical plaque.
From left to right: R.A. Dickson, Dr. Djamal Afrukhteh; Hon. Robert Welch, Ontario Government; J. M. Huggins; Jacob Froese, Lord Mayor of Niagara-on-the-Lake; Dr Paul Cornell, Provincial Historic Sites Board
- Text on a plaque reads:
"THE QUEENSTON BAPTIST CHURCH
By 1808 the Rev. Elkanah Holmes, a missionary from the United States, had organized the first Baptist congregation in Queenston. Following the war of 1812 the congregation declined, was reorganized in 1831 and between 1842 and 1845 erected the rough-cut limestone structure as its church. It is an early and interesting example of the Gothic Revival style in this province. The church had closed by 1918 and in 1928 was sold to the Women's Institute, which occupied the building until 1954. In 1970 it was acquired by Dr. Djamal Afrukhteh who donated it to the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. After a fund-raising campaign by the Queenston Community Association, the building was renovated and in December, 1972, was officially opened as the Queenston Library and Community Centre.
Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Ministry of Colleges and Universities"
"R.A. Dickson, Dr. Afrukhteh, Bob Frelek, J. M. Huggins, Lord Mayor Froese
- Date of Publication:
- 6 Oct 1974
Width: 25 cm
Height: 20 cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Huggins, Jean A. E. (1895-1989)
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0