Steamship "Corona" at Queenston dock
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph of the famous passenger steamship "Corona" at Queenston dock. View of the dock and surrounding area.
- The steamer "Corona" operated on the Toronto-Niagara run between 1896-1930.
"The Corona was a side wheeler, capable of carrying 2,000 passengers. She was 272 feet long and was designed by a Mr. Angstrom. The Corona was built by the Bertram Engine and Shipbuilding Company of Toronto in 1895 and was officially launched at the shipyards there on May 25, 1896. The Corona was on the Toronto — Niagara run for all but three of her 33 years Marine service. These three years she spent on the Toronto — Hamilton route.
Her log books still exist and record many interesting and unusual events on her lake crossings. One of her proudest moments occurred when she was chosen to take, the royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of York, (later King George V and Queen Mary) from Niagara to Queenston, and return, on Oct. 10 1901. The royal couple was staying at the Queen's Royal at Niagara (on-the-Lake) and went to Niagara Falls for a day's visiting and sight-seeing, which included a reception and tea at Loretto Academy.
The Corona was taken out of service in 1930, due to the great depression and dwindling passengers. She lay idle at her Toronto slip until April, 1936 when she was partially dismantled before being taken to Buffalo, by way of the Welland Canal, for scrapping by Rankel's Salvage Co."
Article "Three C steamers used on Niagara Falls-Toronto run" by Francis Petrie
Width: 16.5 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Huggins, Jean A. E. (1895-1989)
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0