Ferry boat "Ongiara" at Queenston dock
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photograph of the ferry steamboat "Ongiara" with passengers aboard (mostly men in military uniforms).
- The "Ongiara" was a wooden, double-deck, propeller driven steam ferry built in 1885 at Toronto by Melancthon Simpson and commissioned as the "Queen City". In 1888 she was sold to the Niagara Transportation Company, which renamed her the "Ongiara" and started using her across the Niagara River, between Queenston, Ontario and Lewiston, New York. She was also used to carry Niagara-grown fruit to Toronto each autumn.
In 1912 she was sold to by Capt. Pat. McSherry of Toronto and used as a tow-boat in Toronto Bay. Finally she was sunk off Bowmanville, Ontario in 1918.
Width: 16.5 cm
Height: 10 cm
- Corporate Name(s):
- Niagara Transportation Company
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Huggins, Jean A. E. (1895-1989)
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0