How it all came about
- Niagara Advance (Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada), 27 Jul 1972
- Garrett, Doug, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- An article on a decision of fire fighters to build an annex to the Fire Hall on King Street in Niagara-on-the-Lake and create the Fire Museum for housing an old fire fighting equipment.
A photograph of fire brigade with a description:
"Men of the Niagara Fire Fighting Services, a voluntary organization which laid down a traditional pattern still followed to this day. Appearing in their full dress uniforms, it must have been a ceremonial occasion when this photograph was taken, probably a funeral."
"Ideas for the Fire Museum began when the old Fire Department was moved six years ago from its former premises on Queen Street to its present King Street site. The Queen Street Fire Hall was there from about the early 1900s. On its removal a number of old fire fighting equipment was sent to Fort George on loan to the Niagara Parks Commission but when the Federal Government took over the Fort the space was needed and this gave the idea of providing a museum.
The fire fighters decided to build an annexe to the Fire Hall on King Street with sufficient space to house exhibits on hand as well as those which might be obtained at a later date."
- Undated photograph but probably taken in early 1900s, before 1911. The Court House is in the background - the second fire hall was located there before moving to a new location on Queen Street in 1911.
- Date of Publication:
- 27 Jul 1972
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0