Unveiling of historical plaque commemorating the Niagara Library
- Media Type
- Item Types
- Black and white photograph of the government officials during a ceremony of unveiling a plaque "The Niagara Library" at the Court House in Niagara-on-the-Lake.
On Saturday, November 19, 1977, a historical plaque commemorating "The Niagara Library", the province's first circulating library, was unveiled at the Court-House Building, 26 Queen Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake. This plaque was erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Ministry of Culture and Recreation.
Shown from left to right following the unveiling ceremony are: Mr. Andrew Gregorovich, President, Ontario Library Association; Mrs. Elizabeth Kormos, Chairman, Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library Board; Mr. William Andres, M.P.(Lincoln); Professor William Ormsby, representative of the Ontario Heritage Foundation; Mr. Larry Kroeker, Alderman, Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake; and the Honourable Robert Welch, Q.C., Minister of Culture and Recreation.
- Date of Publication
- 19 Nov 1977
- Date Of Event
- 19 Nov 1977
- Image Dimensions
Image Width: 17.3cm
Image Height: 11.8cm
- Local identifier
- Language of Item
- Geographic Coverage
Latitude: 43.2549765537404 Longitude: -79.0718141260338
- Copyright Statement
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Public LibraryEmail
Agency street/mail address10 Anderson Lane P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
- Full Text
The Unveiling of an HISTORICAL PLAQUE
Commemorating the NIAGARA LIBRARY
Saturday, November 19, 1977 12:30 PM
Court House, Niagara-on-the-Lake
Sponsored by the Ontario Library Association"
On June 8th, 1800, the Niagara Library, the first circulating library in Upper Canada, was established "to diffuse knowledge" among area subscribers. Financed by this group, library services were begun in 1801 with some 80 works for circulation, many on religion and history. Under the management of Andrew Heron, a merchant, the collection was steadily enlarged, and in 1805 the books of the Niagara Agricultural Society were added. The library operated successfully until the occupation of Newark (Niagara) by American forces in 1813, when numerous volumes were lost. By 1818 financial support for the library had seriously declined, and in 1820 the holdings were incorporated in a new subscription library, begun two years earlier by Heron, then a publisher and book-seller.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation Ministry of Culture and Recreation"
President, Ontario Library Association
Lord Mayor, Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake
Minister of Culture and Recreation, and M.P.P. for Brock Riding
WILLIAM ANDRES, M.P.
Member for Lincoln, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Multiculturalism
Prof. WILLIAM ORMSBY
Ontario Heritage Foundation Representative
MRS. GERDA MOLSON
Chief Librarian, Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
ROBERT WELCH, Q.C., M.P.P.
Light refreshments will follow the formal programme