Portrait of George Bruce
- Campbell, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white portrait photograph of the Reverend G. Bruce attached to a cardboard frame with a signature of photographer: "Campbell. 300 Main St. Winnipeg, Manitoba".
George Bruce was a Native clergyman at Fairford mission, Manitoba. In 1868 Rev George BRUCE was ordained and in 1869 he was put in charge of the Fairford Mission where he would serve for 45 years. He replaced Rev David HALE who died that year.
- "The Fairford Mission was commenced by Archdeacon Cowley in 1842. It is prettily situated on the banks of Partridge Crop River (which is a continuation of the Little Saskatchewan), about two miles from Lake Manitoba. Beds of rushes covering many square miles constitute the Crop, so called by the Indians on account of the resemblamce which the outline of this reedy expanse bears to the crop of a partridge. It is distant from Red River about 200 miles. Here the Indians are Saulteaux. For many years Archdeacon Cowley appeared to labour among them in vain. The seed sown brought forth no fruit, and so hopeless did this Mission seem to be that thoughts were entertained of abandoning it. But the Archdeacon resolved to persevere, and after much patient labour he found the promise verified, "In due season ye shall reap if ye faint not." The first-fruits of his labours was Luke Caldwell, who was baptized by Bishop Anderson in 1851. When the Bishop again visited Fairford in 1858 a little band of Christians had been gathered in, of whom he baptized thirty-nine. Yet once again the faith of the Missionary was put to the test; the fire-water introduced by the white man proved too strong a temptation for the infant Church, and many, alas! fell away.
Happily the sale of intoxicating drinks to the Indians is now forbidden, and to this Mission, as to others, the prohibition has proved beneficial. The latest accounts from the Mission state that the Indians flock to the house of God, and are diligent in their attendance at the school.
The Rev. George Bruce, ordained in 1868, is the native pastor now in charge of Fairford and its out-stations, Manitoba, Oak Point, Touchwood Hills, and Fort Felly. Manitoba, on the shores of the lake from which it takes its name, is sixty miles south of Fairford. Oak Point is forty miles further on, while Fort Pelly, near the source of the Assini-boine, is 300 miles distant, and the Touchwood Hills are 100 miles further west. Here the population is composed chiefly of Crees, and a pretty little Christian village adorns the spot once desecrated by the orgies of the medicine man."
"Dayspring in the Far West" by M.E. Johnson (1875)
Width: 17.5 cm
Height: 22.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 9.8cm
Image Height: 13.9cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Bruce, George (1938-1938)
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Location of Original:
- St. Mark's Anglican Church
41 Byron St.
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0