Historically speaking, the Niagara Library is the oldest Public Library in Upper Canada. Founded in Newark in 1800, it flourished for 20 years, continuing to operate throughout the devastation of the War of 1812. Forced through lack of funds to disband in 1820, it was refounded in 1848 as a Mechanics Institute. For many years, it was housed in various locations throughout the town. Not until 1895 did it find a permanent home at the rear of the Court House in the Market Square Building. The library shared these quarters with the fire department until in 1912, the fire department established residence in the old Fire Hall. The library expanded in recent years to use the whole of the Market Square Building. The decor of the restoration reflects the traditional upper Canadian atmosphere that is the hallmark of the village.