Descendants of two peoples who fought each other 160 years ago joined together last Saturday in launching a community project not far from the site of one of the biggest battles of the 1812 war between the United States and Canada.
A number of Lewiston residents crossed the border to attend the official opening of the Queenston Library and Community Centre by the Hon. Robert S.K. Welch, MPP for Lincoln and Provincial Secretary for Social Development.
The Americans present were members of the Lewiston-Queenston Rotary and their wives. The L-Q Rotary is one of the largest single donors to the Library, having contributed four thousand dollars to the project.
Mr. Welch told a capacity audience which included visitors from Toronto as well, that Premier William Davis sent his best wishes as did Mr. John McNie, the Minister responsible for Universities and Colleges.
Complementing the Queenston residents and others who co-operated to convert a dilapidated old building into the magnificent restored structure, Mr. Welch said, "and may it fulfill all the dreams and expectations of those who have brought it to this point."
Tracing the functions of libraries to their present trend of activity, Mr. Welch expressed the hope that the Library and Community Centre will become a means of welding members of the municipality more closely together.
John Pendergast, Vice President, Finances, Queenston Community Association expressed the organization's appreciation to Mr. Welch and this was followed by a presentation of the library key by Mr. Welch to Dr. Djamal Afrukhteh, donor of the property to the town. Dr. Afrukhteh presented keys to the library next to Lord Mayor Fred Goring.