Catalogue of books in the library of the Niagara Mechanics' Institute. 1861
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- "Catalogue of books in the library of the Niagara Mechanics' Institute. Niagara. Printed for the Institute by Wm. Kirby. 1861"
Brochure: soft cover; p.18 (2 blank)
Rules. [page 2]
1st.--The Library shall be open from half-past seven to half-past eight o'clock on Wednesday and Saturday evenings.
2nd.--Members upon application to the Librarian may take two volumes from the Room and retain them for the time specified therein. No member shall have more than two volumes in his possession at one time, [members residing more than two miles from the Library excepted, to whom one week's extension shall be allowed.]
3rd.--Any member keeping a book longer than the time specified therein, shall be fined two pence for every week it is detained, and when four fines shall have been incurred, the Librarian shall inform the party thereof in writing, and in case the Book is not then returned, the cost of the Book or set of Books shall be charged to the party.
4th.--"Ordinary members whose subscriptions are paid up are eligible to all offices, to vote at all elections of Officers and Committees, and on all questions relative to the conduct of officers and members, and the disposal of the funds or property of the Institute, are entitled to the use of the Library and apparatus under restrictions hereinafter provided, and may introduce the members of their immediate families to the Lectures."
--Extract from By-Laws, Article III.
- The present Public Library dates from October 1848 when the Niagara Mechanics' Institute was founded, for the "promotion of scientific pursuits, the advancement of knowledge and acquisition of a library and necessary apparatus." The Niagara Mechanics' Institute provided lectures, a library and classes for the improvement of mechanics and others. To become a member of this organization, an entrance fee and monthly subscription were required (with a privilege of lectures extended to immediate family members).
The first executive consisted of W.H. Dickson, President; E.C. Campbell, Vice-President, Dr. Melville, Secretary; W.F.G. Gowns, Treasurer and Librarian as well as R. Wagstaff, T. Eedson, John Simpson, James Bouton, J. D. Latonche, John Andrew, James Monro, Samuel Risley, John Whitelaw in General Committee. Ninety-two members were listed at this time, plus nine life members: George Boomer, E. C. Campbell, W. H. Dickson, Charles L. Hall, Andrew Heron, Wm. Kingsmill, Sheriff, Richard Miller, John Simpson, Joseph Woodruff.
A general meeting was held once a year to elect the General Committee. Under the General Committee there were three sub-committees: Lecture and Class, Finance and Library. The Library Committee was responsible for selecting and purchasing books and newspapers which "shouldn't be of immoral or irreligious character". Members of the Institute could recommend some books but they had to be approved by the Library Committee.
The Institute Library was a circulating one and a librarian had to be present on certain days of a week. One of the rules in this brochure for 1861 reads: "The Library shall be open from half-past seven to half-past eight o'clock on Wednesday and Saturday evenings."
The Board of Police offered the Institute a room below the Judges' Chambers in the Court House for its operation.
- "Presented by Miss Carnochan. May 1896"
[on front page]
- William Kirby for the Niagara Mechanics' Institute.
- Date of Publication:
Width: 13.3 cm
Height: 19.7 cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Carnochan, Janet (1839-1929)
Kirby, William (1817-1906)
- Corporate Name(s):
- Niagara Mechanics' Institute (1848-1898)
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0