Catalogue of the Mechanics' Institute Library. Niagara, Ontario. 1880.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- "Catalogue of the Mechanics' Institute Library. Niagara, Ont. Printed at Niagara, August 27th, 1880 on Pirn's Royal Printograph"
Brochure: soft cover; size: 17.7cm x 26.3cm; p.86. Handwritten and copied on Pirn's Royal printograph." This printograph (manufactured in Toronto) was in 1880s quite modern invention for copying up to two hundred copies.
The index is divided into sections (each in alphabetical order): Poetry and the Drama (containing 157 publications); Biography (316); History (433); Travel & Adventure (265), Periodical Literature and Miscellaneous (256); Fiction (431); Literature (405); Science and Art (276).
Inscription in blue ink on back cover:
"The Library is open to Subscribers every Wednesday from 7 to 9 P.M. and every Saturday from 2 to 4 P.M. and from 7 to 9 P.M. N.B. Members are required to pay an entrance fee of $1.00, and a monthly subscription of 12 1/2 cents."
- The present Public Library dates from October 1848 when the Niagara Mechanics' Institute was founded, for the "promotion of scientific pursuits, the advancement of knowledge and acquisition of a library and necessary apparatus." The Niagara Mechanics' Institute provided lectures, a library and classes for the improvement of mechanics and others. To become a member of this organization, an entrance fee and monthly subscription were required (with a privilege of lectures extended to immediate family members).
The first executive consisted of W.H. Dickson, President; E.C. Campbell, Vice-President, Dr. Melville, Secretary; W.F.G. Gowns, Treasurer and Librarian as well as R. Wagstaff, T. Eedson, John Simpson, James Bouton, J. D. Latonche, John Andrew, James Monro, Samuel Risley, John Whitelaw in General Committee. Ninety-two members were listed at this time, plus nine life members: George Boomer, E. C. Campbell, W. H. Dickson, Charles L. Hall, Andrew Heron, Wm. Kingsmill, Sheriff, Richard Miller, John Simpson, Joseph Woodruff.
A general meeting was held once a year to elect the General Committee. Under the General Committee there were three sub-committees: Lecture and Class, Finance and Library. The Library Committee was responsible for selecting and purchasing books and newspapers which "shouldn't be of immoral or irreligious character". Members of the Institute could recommend some books but they had to be approved by the Library Committee.
The Institute Library was a circulating one and a librarian had to be present on certain days of a week.
The Board of Police offered the Institute a room below the Judges' Chambers in the Court House for its operation.
- Niagara Mechanics' Institute
- Place of Publication:
- Niagara, Ontario, Canada
- Date of Original:
- August 27, 1880
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0