50 Years of Shaw Festival Volunteers.
- Godwin, Faye, Author
Butler, Nancy, Author
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- 50 Years of Shaw Festival Volunteers. History prepared by Faye Goodwin and Nancy Butler, Shaw Festival Library.
In 2011, the Shaw Librarians prepared a "History of Volunteering at the Shaw", in recognition of the volunteers who have been such an integral part of the theatre over the past 50 years. In preparing the document, information was gathered from many sources, including early newspaper articles, the Shaw archives, Brian Doherty’s "Not Bloody Likely", A. R. Day’s "The Shaw Festival at Niagara-on-the-Lake, 1962-1981", and approximately 40 oral histories which have been collected by Nancy Butler over the past 25 years. This document, which has been adapted to focus more specifically on volunteers, has been prepared for the Shaw Guild, in response to a request for a history for their records.
Booklet: 29 pages with black & white photographs; size:21.5cm x 28cm;
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. The Shaw Festival Begins [p.3]
2. First Volunteers [p.4]
3. Preparing the Theatre [p.6]
4. Opening Night 1962 [p.9]
5. Spring Thaw [p.11]
6. Going Professional -1963 [p.12]
7. The Festival Grows -1964 [p.15]
8. 1965 [p.17]
9. 1966 - The Morse Years [p.18]
10. 1967 - The Start of the Paxton Years [p.19]
11. 1968,1969,1970 and 1971 - Planning and Fund Raising [p.20]
12. 1972 [p.23]
12. 1973 [p.24]
13. 1974 - New Festival Theatre [p.25]
14. Shaw Guild Membership Events Over the Years [p.26]
15. Shaw Guild Volunteer and Fundraising Activities [p.27]
16. Women's Committee (1964-1973) & Shaw Guild (1974-2012) Presidents [p.29]
- The Shaw Guild is a group of volunteers dedicated to assist and support the Shaw Festival Theatre Foundation. It was established in 1974 as the Shaw Festival Guild (later shortened to the Shaw Guild) when a set of by-laws was prepared and men were invited to join as volunteers.
- Date of Original:
- October 2012
- Date Of Event:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0