We are most anxious that you and your family know about our Queenston Community Association.
All residents of Queenston are now considered members without payment of fees.
You will see that this little folder includes:
. scheduling (below) of Queenston Community Association and related events
. map (inside) of Queenston with Information about some of our historic locations.
. listing (over,back) of Queenston volunteer groups and services for you and your family.
. important phone numbers including commercial/business.
. names and Phone numbers of Board members of Queenston Community Association
Please feel free to call regarding any Queenston concern, program or service. If new persons move to the Village of Queenston, please let us know so that together we can welcome them.
There are villages, off the beaten track,
Small villages, whose history reaches back,
To the first coming of the pioneers,
Who built a nation, beautiful and strong
To which their children's children now belong.
The pioneers who built Queenston laid firm and
lasting foundations for their descendants.
May the stepping stones we are laying for those
who come after us make and keep Queenston,
"the most loved and best known village in Canada".
Gloria Ghetti, president.
Queenston Community Association
Queenston, Ontario, Canada L0S 1L0
Founded February 1970
Chartered December 1972
Queenston Day church service
St. Saviour's at 11 a.m.
A time to remember our heritage.
Oct. 28 - Queenston Sewers 7 p.m.
Oct. 29 - Official Plan(T. N. o. L)
Children's Christmas Party.
Library/Comm. Centre afternoon.
Convenor: Terry Durand. 262 4161
to be announced Annual Meeting
April 15-May 1 Art Show
Convenor: Katie Cammick - 262-5029
Listing of Queenston volunteer groups and services for you and your family.
Activity - Fitness programs
Mon. Wed. 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Lynn Hunter-Hope 688-9311
Anglican Church 357-5190
Sun. 11 a.m.
Canon Joe Nowe - 262-5111, 685-5961
Anglican Church Women
Florence Robertson, Pres.
Co-operative Play Group
St. Saviour's Parish Hall
Monday, 10:00 - 11:30 a.m.
Janice Holmes 262-4397
Fire Station, Mon. 7:30 p.m.
rehearsal (siren reminder)
John Daley, chief. 684-3430
Fitness For women over 40
Tues., Thurs. 10-11 a.m.
Dagmar Sindelar 356-5372.
Library A completely volunteer operation.
Tues. 1 :30 - 3:30
The library collection is fiction and non-fiction Canadian
in setting or author, and particularly to material related to the Queenston and Niagara area.
Rosanne Fedorkow 262-5173
Lions Club St. Davids and District
Lions Club Hall,
Dinner meeting 1st and 3rd Thurs.
Dr. Peter Bissonnette - 262-5042
Lioness Club St. Davids and District
Lion's Club Hall, Dinner
Meeting. 2nd Wed. 6:30 p.m.
G1oria Ghetti 262-4162
Meals on Wheels
Flora Bjorgan, 468-3676
Rotary Club Queenston/Lewiston
Tom Harbottle, 262-5132 Wed. 6:30 p.m.
St. Saviour's Sunday School
Marion Bottomley 262-4702
Senior Citizens St. Davids & Dist. Lions
Club Hall. Rhoda Grier 262-1367,
Library/Comm. Centre Tues. 7-8 p.m., Fri. 9:30-10:30 a.m.
Elisabeth Allen 262-5231
Queenston, Sunday - 11:30 a.m.
Rev. Arnold Proud 262-5242 357-5939.
United Church Women
Margaret Morley, Pres. 262-4590.
Mrs. G. Fieguth 262-4940
Garbage pick-up - each Wednesday
Other important phone numbers
Niagara Regional Police 688-4111
Queenston Fire Department 684-3*30
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hospital 468-4284
Ambulance Service 688-2191
Municipal Office ( & Garbage) 468-3266
Niagara Region 685-1571
Post Office 262-4641v Arena 468-4261
Niagara Hydro 468-3244
Humane Society 682-0767
Suicide Prevention 688-3711
Laura Secord Public School 262-4202
Mike Dietsch, MPP 468-3906
Rob Nicolson, MP 358-3649
Niagara District Secondary 468-3293
Bawtinhelmer Ltd. sand dredging 262-4897
Brock Motel/South Landing 262-4634
Village Store 262-4645
Village Miniatures 262-4779
Coach House Antiques 262-4446
Shalimar Lake Camping 262-4895
Amy's Beauty Parlor 262-4250
Pine Cupboard Antiques 262-4250
Oueenston Golf Club 262-4528
Queenston Heights Motel 262-4513
Queenston lottery 262-4196
Scott ft Co. Design and Constr. 262-4943
Names and phone numbers of Board members of our Q.C.A.
President: Gloria Ghetti
Vice-Pres: Harry Digweed
Secretary Treasurer: Jane Calver
Library : Rosanne Fedorkow
Art Show: Katie Cammick
This folder made possible by the typing of Barbara Armstrong with design ideas by Allan Cunnington, information from N.P.C. and T.N.o.L, and facilitated by -Rob Torrance.
For its size, Queenston has more points of historic Interest than any place in Canada. Laura Secord lived here, General Brock died here, and with his aide de camp, Col. John Macdonnell, had four burials, three of them in Queenston. William Lyon Mackenzie first published Ms Colonial Advocate here in 1824. Here was considered to be the first Post Office in Upper Canada, established in 1802 and here also Upper Canada's first railroad.
So Queenston today is not what it was in 1818, with 6 stores, 4 liquor stores, 13 hotels, two blacksmith shops, a shoe factory employing forty men, a tannery, a distillery, wharves and storehouses. According to Regional Government, we are nothing but a corner of the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, but we still have our churches, our school, our Post Office and our people joined in the Queenston Community Association to keep our name.
All are striving to keep Queenston as it is - with its tree-lined streets and well-kept homes - some new, some old, some built by different Hamilton families. Its quiet beauty and friendly people make it a delightful place in which to live.
(Extracts from Queenston address given by Mrs. A. E. Huggins at the unveiling of the historic plague commemorating the founding of Queenston, October 28, 1973)
The Founding of Queenston
Following the loss, after the American Revolution, of the Niagara River's east bank, a new portage around Niagara Falls was established in the 1780's with Queenston its northern terminus. Wharves, storehouses, and a blockhouse were built. Robert Hamilton, a prominent merchant, considered the village's founder, operated a thriving trans-shipment business. Known as the "Lower Landing", it was named "Oueenston" by Lt. Gov. Simcoe. During the War of 1812, the village was badly damaged. Here lived such well-known figures as Laura Secord and William Lyon Mackenzie. Despite loss of commerce following the opening of the Welland Canal in 1829, Queenston later served as a terminus for the province's first horse-drawn railway.
Queenston was incorporated into the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1970.
(From plaque erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board Ontario)
QUEENSTON LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTRE
Originally built by the Baptist congregation in the early 1840s. It was purchased by the Women's Institute in the 1933s. Sold to an area physician, it was then donated to the Town in 1970 and restored as a Library and Community Centre.
Reconstructed in the late 1930's, this was the site, in 1823 where William Lyon MacKenzie established a printing press as the fore-runner to publishing the Colonial Advocate. In this newspaper, he frequently attacked the "family compact" and the government of the day. MacKenzie moved to Toronto in 1824.
LAURA SECORD HOUSE
The Secord House was reconstructed in the early 1970s by the John Labatt Company. It has been furnished with artifacts and furniture contemporary to Laura Secord and the war of 1812. Laura gained fame for her heroic walk from Queenston to Beaver Dams to warn the British of the impending attack by the American forces.
SOUTH LANDING INN
This property was originally part of a Crown grant of land consisting of thousands of acres granted to the Hon. Robert Hamilton prior to 1800. The present building was erected in 1827 and used almost continually as an Inn and dining piece for travellers and in the early days, by those engaged in the portage business which thrived prior to the opening of the Welland Canal.
QUEENSTON UNITED CHURCH
The first Methodist congregation was formed in October 1786 by Major (later Deacon) George Neal. At first, services were held in homes, then in the old stone school. In 1862, the Wesleyan Methodist Church was built. In 1925 the name was changed to Queenston United Church. Originally located on the corner of Queen and Dumfries streets, the old structure was moved to its present location in 1968. It was enlarged and renovated at that time.
ST. SAVIOUR, THE BROCK MEMORIAL CHURCH
In 1817 the Parish was formed and between 1818 & 1820 the first Church building was erected at what is now the junction of York Road end the Niagara Parkway. The first priest of the Parish was the Rev. Brooke Bridges Stevens M.A. garrison Chaplain at Fort George. The first Church was destroyed by lightning and for forty years, until 1879. the congregation met in various places until the present structure was completed and consecrated by the first Bishop of Niagara. Thomas Brock Fuller, God-son of Major General Sir Isaac Brock.
Built by Alexander Hamilton, son of Robert Hamilton Sr. In 1834 Alexander served as Judge of the Surrogate Court for the District of Niagara. Deputy Collector of Customs, Sheriff and District Assessor for Niagara.
THE WEIR FOUNDATION
The Weir Foundation was formed in 1862 by the late Samuel Edward Weir (1898-1981) and in 1981 was the recipient by will of Mr. Weir Queenston property "Riverbank" together with its contents and important collection of antiques and art. Amassed over sixty years through the singular efforts of one man, the collection is perhaps one of the finest of its kind in Canada. It consists of more than one thousand paintings, prints, drawings and sculpture by such artists as Krieghoff, Homer Watson, Tom Thomson, A. Y. Jackson, Suzor-Cote, Augustus John and Jacob Epstein to name but a few. It also includes rare books and original documents that relate to Canada`s early history, Canadian furniture and other antiques of high quality.