Glencairn Hall in Queenston, 1904
- Media Type:
- Sepia-colour old photograph of the Larkin Soap factory employees picnic at Glencairn mansion in Queenston in 1904. The picture is attached to a cardboard frame with handwritten inscription on the the front and back of the card.
The Larkin Soap Company was founded in Buffalo in 1875. Among the principals were: John Durrant Larkin, Elbert Hubbard, and Darwin D. Martin. The company expanded beyond soap manufacturing into groceries, dry goods, and furniture. Glencairn was both a vacation home and an investment for John D. Larkin. Frank L. Wright came across the river from Lewiston, N. Y. and visited John D. Larkin at Glencairn and Larkin Company had a couple of summer employee picnics there as well.
- This elegant mansion in the Classical (Greek) Revival style was designed by John Latshaw and built in 1832 for John Hamilton (the youngest son of Robert Hamilton). In 1866 it was bought by William A. Thompson (President of the Erie and Niagara Railway) who named it Glencairn and added the south wing. It was purchased in 1900 by J. D. Larkin, a prominent businessman from Buffalo.
Location: very close to the edge of Niagara River
14785 Niagara Parkway, Niagara on the Lake, Ontario (The Larkin-Dimitrieff Property)
- "A picnic for the soap factory employees of J. D. Larkin of Buffalo, N.Y.
[Picture] given by Mrs. Howard Slingerland of St. Davids, Ont. 1975"
- Date of Publication:
- 5 Sep 1904
Width: 39.5 cm
Height: 28.5 cm
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 32cm
Image Height: 22cm
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Huggins, Jean A. E. (1895-1989)
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0