One of the old landmarks of historic Queenston was moved on Thursday. When the first Queenston Lewiston Bridge was formally opened on March 18, 1851, this building was the toll house. On April 16, 1864, the bridge was blown down and the cables hung for many years. When the International Railway Co., acquired and consolidated all electric lines on the Frontier except the Gorge Railway in the late 90's, it also acquired the Upper Suspension Bridge near Niagara Falls and moved it to Queenston in 1898 and it was erected on the site of the old bridge. A new toll office was erected at the immediate end of the bridge.
In the old toll house lived Mr. and Mrs. Timothy Winn and there were born three sons and three daughters; Mr. and Mrs. Winn also had the Queenston Post Office. One of the older residents of the village states it was on the lower corner of the Winn property.
Miss Winnie Winn, the youngest member of the family, if living today would be close to eighty years old. She died some ten years ago. Her brother Elliot Winn continued to reside in the home till his death about two years ago.
The house being on crown property is controlled by the Parks Commission and it was from the commission that Walter H. Sheppard acquired the building this spring. It was moved to his farm on Line 6 off the Niagara Parkway, a distance of about two miles.
Since Charles Bradley father of the late Horace Bradley is believed to be the last person to drive his team over the first bridge before it fell, he was probably the last person to pay his toll at the old Toll House.