E.D. Lowrey's General Store in St. Davids
- Mystery Question:
Can you identify men standing in the front of the store?
[Please answer by clicking on the Comments tab]
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white, winter photograph of E.D. Lowery General Store in St. Davids, on Creek Road, at the south-east corner of main intersection. There are the hitching posts and utility poles (one with a sign advertising "Bell Telephone Co"). Two unidentified men are posing in front of the store.
The Lowrey's [Lowery] store has also been known as Woodruff's General Store. Undated, probably ca 1900.
- This store (one of two in St. Davids in that time) was built by Richard Woodruff (known as "King Dick") around 1812, who operated it until his death in 1872. George Woodruff was the next owner. E.D. Lowrey (Edwin David Lowrey) operated the store from 1893 to 1896. His brother Charles Matthew Lowrey took over the business (1896-1910) and added two wings to the existing building. Then again, E. D. Lowrey took over the store/post office from 1910 to 1918 when Archie Woodruff bought it. Archie operated the store until the late 1920s when he had to close the store. The hardware store/Fruitman magazine were located in north part of the building and the post office in south section. The store was torn down in 1961.
- "St. Davids store
S.E. corner of intersection"
- Date Of Event:
- ca 1900
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 10.4cm
Image Height: 8cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Lowrey, Edwin David (1859-1950) ; Lowrey, Charles Matthew (1855-1931)
- Local identifier:
- Collection of Alan Clifford
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0