Black and white photographs of Charles Matthew Lowery [Lowrey] at the Queenston Quarry.
Charles Lowrey was president and manager of the Queenston Quarry Company between 1905 and 1924. The limestone quarry near St. David in Niagara township was operated by the Queenston Quarry Company, and produced both crushed stone and building stone. The building stone included dimension blocks, bases and cut stone and crushed stone was used for general building purposes and roads.
Queenston stone (dolomitic limestone) has been quarried at least since the beginning of the nineteenth century and Queenston quarries produced the best building stone in Ontario. In the nineteenth century, most of Queenston limestone was used to construct the Welland Canal and railway bridges. It was also used in the following structures: the Gibraltar Point Lighthouse in Toronto(1809); the Buffalo lighthouse (1833); foundation of Queenston International Bridge (1837); Court House, Niagara-on-the-Lake (1840); locks for the second Welland Canal (1846); Brock's Monument in Queenston (1840 and 1856); culverts and bridges of Great Western Railway (1860); the east block of the Parliament buildings in Ottawa (1859-1866); Welland Canal (1872-1876); gate and fence at the Governor General's residence in Ottawa (1878); Welland Canal (1880-1890); Post Offices in St. Catharines and Niagara Falls (1882); Power House in Niagara Falls, NY (1896-1900) and in Niagara Falls, ON (1902-1908); the retreat house at Mount Carmel, Niagara Falls (1899-1926); Table Rock House and Administration Building (Queen Victoria Park, Niagara Falls, ON) and some of the some of the buildings at Queen’s Park in Toronto as well as McMaster and Queens University.