Workers of the Queenston Quarry Company
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Black and white photographs of the employees of the Queenston Quarry Company, working on the site.
The limestone quarry near St. David in Niagara township was operated by the Queenston Quarry Company, and produced both crushed stone and building stone. The crushed stone was used for building purposes, roads and the building stone included dimension blocks, bases and cut stone. The cut stone is shaped by two gang saws and one diamond saw. An average of 40 men was employed (in 1920). Charles Matthew Lowrey [Lowery] was president and manager of the Queenston Quarry Company between 1905 and 1924 and G. W. McKeown, secretary.
- Queenston stone (dolomitic limestone) has been quarried at least since the beginning of the nineteenth century and Queenston quarries produced the best building stone in Ontario. In the nineteenth century, most of Queenston limestone was used to construct the Welland Canal and railway bridges. It was also used in the following structures: the Gibraltar Point Lighthouse in Toronto(1809); the Buffalo lighthouse (1833); foundation of Queenston International Bridge (1837); Court House, Niagara-on-the-Lake (1840); locks for the second Welland Canal (1846); Brock's Monument in Queenston (1840 and 1856); culverts and bridges of Great Western Railway (1860); the east block of the Parliament buildings in Ottawa (1859-1866); Welland Canal (1872-1876); gate and fence at the Governor General's residence in Ottawa (1878); Welland Canal (1880-1890); Post Offices in St. Catharines and Niagara Falls (1882); Power House in Niagara Falls, NY (1896-1900) and in Niagara Falls, ON (1902-1908); the retreat house at Mount Carmel, Niagara Falls (1899-1926); Table Rock House and Administration Building (Queen Victoria Park, Niagara Falls, ON) and some of the some of the buildings at Queen’s Park in Toronto as well as McMaster and Queens University.
- Image Dimensions:
Image Width: 7.5cm
Image Height: 5cm
- Personal Name(s):
- Lowrey, Charles Matthew (1855-1931)
- Local identifier:
- NOTLPL00227-03 to NOTLPL00227-11
- Collection of Alan Clifford
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Niagara-on-the-Lake Public Library
Agency street/mail address
10 Anderson Lane
P.O. Box 430
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0